Chinese coastal batteries

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
forttravel

Re: Chinese coastal batteries

Postby forttravel » 08 Mar 2017 22:21

One more picure I think it is again Lion battery (Shi paotai) in Nanjing and current picture of preserved emplacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

forttravel

Postby forttravel » 18 Mar 2017 22:02

forttravel wrote:And emplacement of such gun described by Japanese Army (after capture in China?).

This drawing is 6-inch=15 cm gun.
Here similar emplacement for 4.7-inch=12 cm gun.
0248_12cm.jpg

What about this preserved example, is it 15 or 12 cm gun (Kiangnan made?).
5507694.jpg

And gun on emplacement (without shield), 12 cm?
7fb92227062b708d3ea92dae0e9c248d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

forttravel

Postby forttravel » 29 May 2017 20:36

Opposite site of Taiwan strait. Chinese nationalist emplacement. What a gun is this?

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Postby YC Chen » 15 Jun 2017 07:03

forttravel wrote:One more picure I think it is again Lion battery (Shi paotai) in Nanjing and current picture of preserved emplacement.

The preserved emplacement is not Lion Hill, but Qingliang Hill (Qingliang Shan). The emplacements on Lion Hill have all been destroyed with only underground structures survive. The only surviving gun emplacements in Nanjing is this one on Qingliang Hill and two (with another one or two partially destroyed) on Tiger Hill (Laohu Shan).

Sturm78

Postby Sturm78 » 16 Jun 2017 15:42

wrote
Opposite site of Taiwan strait. Chinese nationalist emplacement. What a gun is this?

It seems an 155mm M1 gun

Sturm78

forttravel

Postby forttravel » 24 Mar 2018 21:48

Continuation/replace of sub-subject from here:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=135136&start=60

Statist wrote:
forttravel wrote:Hi Statist,
Real location of 28 cm Krupp coast howitzers is unknown, just described as "highest peak of island" so I suppose it was in building/structure used later by British as a signal station.

Many thanks for the interesting information.
The "highest peak of island" is Qidingshan Hill. Now there are Britain-built two guns battery (the Centurion battery) on the western (left) highest top of hill.

There are two old photos of Qidingshan Hill and Liugongdao island. Some structures used later by British as a signal station supposedly are situated on the eastern (right) top of the hill.

Liugong1.jpg

Liugong2.jpg

Perhaps, indeed on the western top of the hill was located a battery of 28 cm Krupp howitzers.

Unfortunately there are very few old photos of coastal batteries on the island of Lugongdao.

I have few more pictures, I think western (left, 498 masl) peak was an emplacement structure for howitzers. Last picture shows round shaft structure with ammo nisches?

Statist

Postby Statist » 26 Mar 2018 13:33

The last picture shows the right (eastern) gun position of the British Centurion coastal battery. This photo was probably taken in the 30s of the 20th century after the British left the island. We can see traces of the same breaks as on the old picture.

Right gun1.JPG

Right gun2.JPG

Right gun3.JPG

Right gun4.JPG

Right gun5.JPG

Statist

Postby Statist » 12 Apr 2018 05:23

forttravel wrote:Hi Statist, could you comment please that picture, it is described in internet also as Yantai. Battery III or IV? What do you mean? On attached map there is a stone wall which is visible on picture too approching to mountains ascents.

I think it was possible to determine the location of the battery in Nanjing. This battery is located on Mount Fuguishan.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=ru&lat=32.05 ... 4%E5%B1%B1
32°3'31"N 118°48'51"E

Fuguishan location.jpg

The battery is located inside the city wall of Nanjing.
There are some more photos of the battery on Mount Fuguishan.

Fuguishan1.jpeg

Fuguishan2.jpeg

Fuguishan3.jpeg

In the background of pictures there is a one of the highest mountain in the vicinity of Nanjing, Jijinshan (Mount Purple), on top of which now there is an astronomical observatory (Purple Mountain Observatory)

Fuguishan.jpg

The last picture is from the Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders.

forttravel

Postby forttravel » 13 Apr 2018 13:35

I have one more picture from China with that old Krupp semi-fixed gun as on above next to last picture, but I don't know location.
Big river on background could be Yangtze = Nanjing?

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”