Use of Mondragón rifle in China?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Hama

Use of Mondragón rifle in China?

Postby Hama » 22 Sep 2017 00:02

Has anyone come across historical sources of Mondragón semi-auto rifles being used in China during the 20th century? This is something I've seen claimed on a couple websites but with no real sources to back it up or details given, I thought perhaps some of our China experts here (or Chinese language speakers) might know of some actual sources for whether this was true?

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Use of Mondragón rifle in China?

Postby Carl Schwamberger » 13 Oct 2017 23:55

First I'd heard of it. Had assumed so few were made they went into collectors cabinets.

Hama

Re: Use of Mondragón rifle in China?

Postby Hama » 16 Oct 2017 14:28

The only two militaries that I know for sure used them were the Mexicans and Germans, and as you say even in those armies the low production numbers of the rifles meant they weren't super common. The only reason I can see the Mondragóns maybe having been used in China is the fact that Germany in the inter-war era was dumping a lot of military equipment into the Chinese arms market, but again without proper sources on the Mondragón being among them I don't just want to assume it's true...

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”