April 1927 Ships at Zhenjiang

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
jerryasher

April 1927 Ships at Zhenjiang

Post by jerryasher » 25 Aug 2020, 20:49

Can anyone tell me what naval units, (a newspaper account states that there were three) supported the Nationalist drive along the Grand Canal canal. Apparently they were called upon when a warlord counterattacked and disrupted a brigade. Dates would range from April 4th through 11th. Many thanks in advance. If anyone can be more precise--please feel free to add, units, commanders, etc. American destroyer Paul Jones and British destroyer Wivern are in the vicinity, and other ships would have passed, going upstream or downstream.

GregSingh

Re: April 1927 Ships at Zhenjiang

Post by GregSingh » 01 Sep 2020, 12:53

Was it this incident you referred to?
It has a later date...

U.P. April 13th, 1927
British Ship Attacked
The British warship Woodcock was fired on by land batteries between Hankow and Chinkiang, and returned the fire with machine guns and six pounders. A Cantonese cruiser, transport and torpedo boat shelled the northern bank of the river near Chinkiang yesterday, it was learned.

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 05 Sep 2020, 18:23

Thank you Greg: For a month Jiang's National Revolutionary Army confronted the warlord along the Yangzi from near Jiangyin as far west as Anqing: having said that, the major flash points were Nanjing east to Jiangyin and even more precisely around Silver Island in English language publications. I can't find Silver Island and do not know its Chinese name. We have many who have been active sharing about the Chinese coastal forts, and I have never come across the same for any of the riverine forts. I have the British Emerald, Wivern, Veteran, Mantis, Woodcock, Kiawo, Carlisle, Wolsey,Wanderer, Fortol and American Paul Jones and John D. Ford, an unknown Japanese destroyer is also cited. Your citation is of help, but is illustrative of the problem. Spellings are haphazard, dates determined by different agency rules and the complications of Chinese geography; i.e. Hankow and Chinkiang (which is Zhenjiang) but a great deal of the action is downriver and east to Jiangyin. Please accept my thanks, for your work. I hope to capture the above in a single paragraph narrative in the near future. Again thank you.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 07 Sep 2020, 13:52

From the Names of Places on the China Coast and The Yangtze River, Shanghai 1904:

Silver island.png

That's identical to Jiaoshan 焦山 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaoshan, now part of Zhenjiang

Jiaoshan 焦山 (Silver Island) and the Yangtze River, near Zhenjiang
https://www.hpcbristol.net/visual/vh02-161

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 07 Sep 2020, 23:13

Many thanks Greg.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”