Australian made Colonel in the KMT

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Peter H

Australian made Colonel in the KMT

Post by Peter H » 26 May 2006 03:40

Of interest,and the Australian Gilbert Stuart was made a Colonel in the Chinese Army, "instrumental in forming the Chinese 5th Army's Armored Car Detachment and, later, the 1st Parachute Regiment."

http://www.insigne.org/OSS-commandos.htm
Gilbert Stuart, an Australian mining engineer, was working in Hong Kong when Japan invaded China. Rather than seeking a safe haven, Stuart, an adventurer at heart, threw in his lot with a band of guerrillas. It took the Japanese less than a year to effectively wipeout the guerrilla group, but Stuart survived to organize another, one which was absorbed, along with Stuart, into the regular Chinese Army. Eventually, Stuart rose to the rank of colonel in the Chinese Army—a unique honor for a foreigner—and was instrumental in forming the Chinese 5th Army's Armored Car Detachment and, later, the 1st Parachute Regiment. The incorporation of the 1st Parachute Regiment into the Commandos led to a close working relationship between Stuart and their OSS advisors. After the war, Stuart described his experiences in a book (Kind-Hearted Tiger, Little, Brown & Co., 1964).
Has anyone any more details or a photo of Stuart?

/Peter

major grubert

Post by major grubert » 28 May 2006 13:50

Strangely enough, I bought myself a 1964 autobiography of his, titled "Kind-Hearted Tiger: One Man's War in China" a few months ago in some second-hand bookshop in Sydney. IIRC, it had a photo of the author (Stuart) in KMT uniform on the back.

I'll try to dig it out when I can.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 30 May 2006 10:32

Thanks.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

major grubert

Post by major grubert » 18 Jul 2006 14:06

Apologies for the lateness of this :oops:

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 27 Jul 2006 08:46

Thanks!

Regards
Peter

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”