Chinese/French clash 1940?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Peter H

Chinese/French clash 1940?

Post by Peter H » 17 Dec 2006, 03:31

Does anyone know about this?September 1940.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -2,00.html

War Headed South. News of the deal brought quick Chinese action. Troops on the Yunnan frontier moved into IndoChina and were met in a sharp engagement by French colonial troops forced into the odd position of fighting for Japan.

pitman

Post by pitman » 17 Dec 2006, 22:00

Coincidentally, this morning I was reading David G. Marr's Vietnam 1945: The Quest for Power, an extensive look at Vietnam in 1945. This book contains a survey of Chinese relations/reactions regarding Vietnam during the WWII era, and he says that while the Chinese considered such actions several times, they never actually took action. I suspect that the Time Magazine article is based on rumors from China.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 18 Dec 2006, 14:21

Thanks I think your right.

However of interest is the mentioning of "forays" here:

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/20 ... fault.aspx
A statement issued by the Japanese emperor on October 5 called the Lang Son attack unfortunate but not important. The French prisoners were released, but 200 German legionnaires who had been separated from the other French prisoners were not released until the 13th of October. The pursuing Chinese army made numerous forays across the frontier, and the French administration remained fearful of a full-scale Chinese invasion until the end of the war. The French had lost 800 men in two days of battle with the Japanese.

Regards
Peter

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”