The Battle of Changsha

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
ImperialDarkness

The Battle of Changsha

Post by ImperialDarkness » 27 Feb 2007, 09:19

Hi, I have a research paper to do on the Battle of Changsha. I've looked on the internet, but I haven't really been able to find much except for the general things. I noticed that the people here know a lot about every aspect of the Second World War. So, I was hoping if someone could provide me with information regarding the Battle of Changsha. Whether it is general or detailed, all is appreciated. I know I'm not making it any easier by not specifying what exactly I want to know, but I don't know much to begin with (just basically what I could find on Wikipedia). Please tell me anything about the battles, and thank you very much for your time.

-Edward Huang (aka ImperialDarkness)

P.S. If I'm violating any rules, I appologize ahead of time and please tell me. I'm new to this forum. :oops:

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 27 Feb 2007, 16:19

As a school librian somewhat intriqued by your question--I don't know the ethics either.
Is this secondary or college?
Changsha is not one battle but either three or four.
This is one straight from my mind, ( I haven't seen it in print in my reading) Note geopraphically the Pentagon (NO- not the US, the shape) Poyang Lake-Wuhan (Hankov)-Dongting Lakes-Changsha-Nanchang. It is and certainly for the Sino-Japanese War of 1937-45 the fulcram. It is the center that allows one to consider going in any direction in China. Changsha is the western orbit--it is a better north-south route than even Nanchang. The success of the Chinese to hold in 1939, was psychologically all important to the legitimacy of Jaing Jhishe. Am typing without classes, as I've just awakened--hope this isn't jibberish.
By the way I'm intrested in its naval aspects. Let me know if you have stuff. If forum members thing helopint on a term paper i okeh, I can send other ideas and details.

HenryW

Post by HenryW » 28 Feb 2007, 04:07

Hi,

Try this site:

http://www.republicanchina.org/campaign.html

Scroll down and you can select 1st, 2nd, and or 3rd battle of Changsha.

Henry

ImperialDarkness

Post by ImperialDarkness » 01 Mar 2007, 09:16

This is senior secondary. The idea of the paper (in my teacher's point of view) is to actually prepare us for writing during college / university.

I don't see any reason why you can't help me with this. If I am correct, this forum is for the sharing of information. I am not asking you to write the paper or anything even close to that. At most I will refer to any information you have provided me as simply notes. Furthermore, I cannot use any facts given to me without a source.

From information I have so far, I don't think I can make my focus on anything specific about the battle. Most likely, I will be discussing the importance of the battle of changsha(s), how the location was strategically important, and how by being able to defend it even after several attempts by the Japanese to conquer it, was important to China not losing until the Japanese finally lost.

Henry, thanks for the site. That was quite useful.

Any further assistance is helpful! :)

Thanks,
Edward

asiaticus

1st Changsha

Post by asiaticus » 01 Mar 2007, 11:53

Well we've covered the first battle in 1939 here in our Campaigns in Detail thread on page 8 and 9:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &start=105

Havent got to the other three battles yet,

The 2nd and 3rd Battles were in 1941 and the last in 1944,

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”