Chinese 6th War Area/Military Region

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
asiaticus

Chinese 6th War Area/Military Region

Post by asiaticus » 24 Apr 2007 22:27

I cant find a date for the second activation of the 6th War Area or Military Region, in Hsu's History of the Sino Japanese War. I find it first mentioned as being active in the 1939-40 Chinese Winter Offensive. It commanded forces south of the Yangtze in Hubei province. 116th Division from 4th Corps attacked Lin-yueh [?], destroyed rails and telegraph wires from Wulipai to Yuehyang cutting Yuehyang off. However I think it was active earlier. I would guess this might have happened after the 1st Battle of Changsha threatened to split the 9th Military Region.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » 29 Apr 2007 18:59

The 6th War Area was first activated in Sep 11, 1937, with the area along Tientsin-Paokow Railroad north of Yellow River. On Oct 4 the same year, the war area is moved west to Peiping-Hankow Line. The war area was soon disbanded when Japanese occupied the area later that month.

The 6th War Area was activated a second time on Oct 1939. It includes the part of the original 9th War Area west of Siang River. With Chen Chang as the commander, it is more or less a plot to separate the power of 9th WA commander Hsueh Yueh.

The 6th War Area was again reorganized on Jan 1945, to include area slong Yangtze River in Hupeh Province.

Source: The Organization of the NRA Army (in Chinese) p.464, p. 552-553.

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 29 Apr 2007 22:30

Leonard, thanks for the date on that and the reason for its creation.

What is the back story on splitting the 9th War Area? Was Chiang that threatened by Hsueh Yueh?

Leonard

Post by Leonard » 01 May 2007 15:59

Maybe not threatened, but just a check on Hsueh. 9th War Area has the best units at the time. It is unlikely Chiang will trust them on a Kwangtungese. The 1st Changsha Campaign also amplifies the importance of the area.

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 02 May 2007 03:08

It seems to have been formed just as the first Changsha battle was winding down. It makes sense on its own merit, given the big obstacle of the lake and all the marshes, rivers etc. between the forces of 9th War Area and 6th War Area and the threat of a Japanese move up the Yangtze which did manifest itself in succeading years. 9th War area still had a huge responsiblility defending the area between Changsha and Nanchang.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”