White Russian Soldiers in 1920s/1930s China - Sources?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
khedive

White Russian Soldiers in 1920s/1930s China - Sources?

Post by khedive » 05 Dec 2007, 09:56

Hello,

I am interested in learning more about "White Russian" soldiers serving in Chinese armies during the 1920s through early 1930s. They seem to have been most numerous in Sinkinag, North Eastern China ("Manchuria") and Shantung Province. Some of these were regimental sized units, and one might describe Chang Tsung-ch'ang (Zhāng Zōngchāng)'s force as a brigade. Also, a Russian Company joined the Shahhai Volunteer Corps in the late 1920s, and rapidly evolved into a battalion.

I am working now with US Department of State reports on microfilm, and will next employ British Foreign office and Indian Office reports. I come across bits and pieces of information in travel books, memoirs, and histories dealing with 1920s/30s China. The best of these was Anatol Kotenev, "The Chinese Soldier" (Shanghai: Kelly & Walsh, 1937), which has several pages on White Russians and some excellent photos.

Can anyone suggest contemporary magazines in English, French, German, or Russian that might cover these "soldiers of misfortune?" I'm hoping there might be illustrated editions with photos. Were their Chinese illustrated magaiznes from the 1920s (and would any be available on microfilm for I.L.L. to deepest darkest south Gerogia???) Any advice welcome, thanks in advance for our help.

P.S. If you visit London, or have vast sums of money to spend on their copy service, the Imperial War Museum has "Modern Warfare in China" - a White Russian film with English subtitles which covers the Fengtien-Chili War of 1924/1925. VERY interesting, with plenty of details on gear used by Chang Tso-lin's army, along with some views of his White Russian advisors, and....Chang Tsung-ch'ang smoking one of his trade-mark cigars!

Semenov

re

Post by Semenov » 05 Dec 2007, 22:23

Few books in Russian languages of you want.

RCW Mark

Post by RCW Mark » 07 Dec 2007, 02:37

Try this:

Kamoludin, Abdullaev "White Basmachis" or the exploits of the White Russians in Western China in 1920-1934 Russia, Siberia, and Central Asia: Interrelation of Peoples and Cultures. 2002. The proceedings of Third international conference. Ed. by V. S. Boyko, Barnaul, BSPU, 2001

When you get a copy of it, send one to me. Then I will forward a few bits and pieces I have from memoires, such as the chapter of I.S.K. Soboleff's memoires from his time fighting in China.

If you ever want to publish your findings on the 'Net, I will be happy to host them.

khedive

Post by khedive » 19 Dec 2007, 10:29

Thank you for this idea. I sent an email to the author. If he provides a copy, I'll be happy to send you one also. My goal right now is to turn the raw data into a journal article, and will send that to you also, but don't hold your breath, as I just started, and have all those India Office files to read!!!

RCW Mark

Post by RCW Mark » 20 Dec 2007, 11:32

Do you have:
Activities of White Émigré Organizations in China During the Deterioration of Soviet-Chinese Relations (1929-1931) by Nadezhda Ablova from Far Eastern Affairs?

Borianm

Post by Borianm » 08 Jan 2008, 19:33

Try to order this:

Russian Volonteers

This book concentrates on participation of russian volonteers from 1824 till 1941. There are articles about role of the russian volonteers in Anglo-Boer, Chaco, Balkan (1875-1878), Chinese Civil (1924-1940), Winter (1939-1940), Alban Civil (1924), Spanish Civil (1936-1939), Hungarian Soviet Revolution (1919) wars.

Hard cover
size: 84õ108 1/32
weight: 375 g
pages: 368

Links on russian e-shops:
http://shop.top-kniga.ru/books/item/in/342964/
http://bookazine.ru/id222395.html

Also try this one: Strugle of six empires - fight for Cinczjan

Book of Kazakstan historian about Great Game in Cinczjan (Uyghur region) expecialy role of russians (Whites, Reds, Russian pre-revolution religious migrants )
http://www.moscowbooks.ru/book.asp?id=347364
http://www.chtivo.ru/chtivo=3&bkid=1141136.htm

MVishniako

Post by MVishniako » 31 Jan 2008, 05:20

Hello khedive,
My grandfather served in the army of the Dogmeat General (Zhang Zongchang) as a full Colonel and military advisor. His name was Vladimir Feodorvich Yakovleff, he was a young officer in WW1 serving in the Royal Guard of Russia, when the Revolution began he became Lt. Col. of the Volga Rifle Regiment leading two companies. When the Whites fled, my grandfather and grandmother lived with her family in Harbin, Manchuria. In 1924 they left with daughter (my mom) to Shangdun where he joined the army of Marshall Zongchang. He was killed in action on October 25, 1927. I too am very interested in researching the White Russian soldiers that were incorporated into the Chinese army. I have photos of him (in uniform) and family.

Sincerely,
Misha

P.S. I believe that there was at one time a monument in Shangdun that honored the White Russian soldiers, but was destroyed by Mao.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”