Long March: The true story behind a myth

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
HC8604

Re: Long March: The true story behind a myth

Post by HC8604 » 26 Oct 2010, 23:46

Peter H wrote:So if you click on the link and click on the photo the documentary doesn't play?
Right, it gives me this:

"Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. If you are not located in Australia, you are not authorised to view this video.

If you ARE located in Australia and feel an error has been made we would appreciate your help with improving this service. Please provide your "

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 27 Oct 2010, 01:32

South,

I am afraid you are mistaken. Otto braun was an entirely different person from Mikhail Gruzenberg alias Borodin, although both were Comintern agents sent to China to organise the Communist Party there.

Here is some information on Otto Braun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Braun_(Li_De)

I have read the book about Borodin, and from memory he fled from China across the Gobi desert in 1927, after Jiang Jieshi turned against his Communist allies.

Otto Braun did not arrive in China until 1932, after he had graduated from the Frunze Military Academy in the Soviet Union.

South

Post by South » 27 Oct 2010, 07:55

Good morning Michael,

Wasn't making a mistake..... I offered Borodon's name as a possible personality representing "Braun". Again, I did not know and still don't. I'm just unsettled about a German leading this force.......accepting that this could still be possible.

Appreciate link. Will glance at it this AM.

Yes, Borodin fled China across the Gobi to Mongolia.

The Communist Part of China was organized well prior to Borodin's presence. The best book discussing the early Chinese Communist Party that I've run across is:

THE ORIGINS OF CHINESE BOLSHEVISM, Michael Y.L. Luk, 1990, ISBN: 0-19-584209-X

Warm regards,

Bob

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 27 Oct 2010, 09:21

Something on Borodin,Kuibyshev,Blucher,Soviet advisers to Chiang in the 20s:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=159694

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 27 Oct 2010, 09:33

Another German speaking Comintern adviser to the CCP was Manfred Stern:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Stern

Jung chang relates that Braun was given a Chinese 'wife' who bore him a son--"the boy had dark skin,closer in colour to that of a Chinese than a white person's which prompted Mao to crack a joke:"Well,this defeats the theory of the superiority of the Germanic race."

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”