Changsha Campaigns

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Jerry Asher

Changsha Campaigns

Post by Jerry Asher » 25 Jul 2008, 17:13

I have read an English language statement that as late as mid October 1938 (that is even after the Chinese have decided to evacuate their armies from Wuhan) the railroad from Guangzhou (Canton) through Changsha is operating and carrying supplies. I have seen a Japanese language map that indicates the railroad line north from Changsha to Yueyang (Yochow) on east bank of Dongting Lakes just below junction with the Yangzi is not operable (this is the 1944 Campaign). My question is Did the Chinese pull up the rails as they did between Nanchang and Juijiang in 1938? and if so do we have any details? when? what happened to the rails? (Possibly south). OR was the track between Yueyang and Changsha simply the product of numerous war damage? Thank you all.

ProvostGuard

Re: Changsha Campaigns

Post by ProvostGuard » 26 Jul 2008, 16:53

I'm willing to bet the Chinese pulled them up. Rails were more beneficial to the Japanese than the Chinese.

It could also be the result of a combination of war damage and lack of train engines. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Do you have a copy of the map?
"The enemy is in front of us, behind us, to the left of us, and to the right of us. They won't escape this time!" -Colonel Chesty Puller, USMC

Cyber Nations, a nation simulation game: http://www.cybernations.net/
I'm sure you'll love it!

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 27 Jul 2008, 09:42

The railroad between Yueyang and Zhuzhou had been thoroughly destroyed by the Chinese. They destroyed rails, bridges, even roadbed. A part of the railroad disappeared and became field, when the Japanese occupied.

Taki

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 04 Aug 2008, 23:29

Many thanks Taki.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”