Was Zhang Zuolin that adroit?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Jerry Asher

Was Zhang Zuolin that adroit?

Post by Jerry Asher » 07 Dec 2012, 06:57

I am looking at my chronology--put together from several different an different kinds of sources and raising questions as I go along. I assume an antecedents could be found but I want to start with March 1927 with Shanghai be pried from the warlords. Zhang is in contact with foreign delegations in Beijing --ironing out his raid and occupation of the Russian Legation--which will take place on April 6. There is an almost concurrent initial JIang Jieshi move on communist in or near Shanghai but I find no mention that these are coordinated. In early May (Specific date unkown) Jiang begins crossing the Yangzi details unknown but I guess near Nanjing and Zhejiang or both. By May 16th, Japanese Army? Prime Minister? Cabinet? the Showa Emperor? approve dispatch of troops to Qingdao as jump off point if needed at Jinan. Troops land in Shandong Province May 29th and advance to (through) Qingdao on 31st. mid June Zhang announces he "can not defend Japanese nationals," June 16th Japanese troops arrive via train in Jinan--begin defensive works south of city June 28? Zhang announces he is now "Generalisimo" of all China. One report states the impetus for deployment was Nationalist actions at Nanjing March 24 and Wuhan April 3--which raised fears in Jinans Japanese community, which then appealed to Army? Prime Minister for on site protection as they could not be evacuated. Sorry if I appear rambling but note:
fears are legitimate--but were from JInan community or Zhang exploiting? why couldn't Army evac? B) expeditionary force stops at Qingdao, (C) Zhang public announcement he cannot (Nationalist are still a 100 mile south) protect, D)Japan's Army deploy Jinan, (E) with IJA now entangled he (F) announces being Generalism Did Zhang bait the Japanese? Certainly the announcement is an answer to Jiang who recently completed arrangement with Feng June 21.

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Re: Was Zhang Zuolin that adroit?

Post by YC Chen » 07 Dec 2012, 12:30

Hello
Very happy to meet someone who is so interested in the history of Warlord Era, unfortunately I have to admit that I cannot answer your question with all my books away from me.

The question "Were Zhang and Jiang coordinated in their anti-communist(and anti-Russian) actions" have been raised in China since long times ago. I remember some older history textbooks or something gave the answer "yes", and said that "It is no doubt that the 'reactionary trend' in the North and South had connections with each other". However I don't remember that they gave any hard proof, so this could be only an assumption.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”