Chinese Fortresses Along the Yangtze in 1938

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Robert24

Chinese Fortresses Along the Yangtze in 1938

Post by Robert24 » 30 Sep 2013, 08:59

In a couple of 1938 Battle for Wuhan OOBs I find several Chinese fortification units, but I cannot find their location. Does anyone know the location of these fortifications along the Yangtze in 1938?
-Tienpe (might be part of the 92nd Corps)
-Tiennan (might be part of the 54th Corps)
-Huang Ngo (might be part of the 75th Corps)
-Kotien

Any assistance is appreciated.

Robert

Jerry Asher

Re: Chinese Fortresses Along the Yangtze in 1938

Post by Jerry Asher » 04 Oct 2013, 05:23

Hi Robert; Love your question. I have some scattered stuff that I will have to cull. May I offer some off the cuff remarks. In general really am uncomfortable with use of the word Fortress. Oddly enough prior to the 20th Century the walled cities were in my judgement closer to fortifications than defensive works of the 1937-1938 campaigns. There have so many linquistic changes over the past seventy years--that the first three locations you mentioned, don't come to mind. Kotien in Hubei province is east of Wuhan. With time will figure out remaining places. You're mention of 52nd, 54th and 75th Corps is interesting. Do you have dates? It is possible that recent Chinese language material would be helpful. West of Anqing, the serious defensive effort was as Madang, then Juijiang, then Hankou, then Wuxe, then Gedian. Understand that after 1934 there was much discussion, but not sure how much was really done. Many of the guns used for defence were pulled from naval ships that were disarmed, prior to be scuttled. A start, and when I am not so tired, I will be able to contribute more. Have never seen a good map or diagram.

Robert24

Re: Chinese Fortresses Along the Yangtze in 1938

Post by Robert24 » 12 Oct 2013, 20:01

Hi Jerry,
Thank you for the response.
Interesting how you use the word fortress; obviously you have studied this subject and can identify specific vocabulary - your expertise is greatly appreciated.
The dates are July through November 1938, during the Japanese drive on Wuhan.
I am using a translation of Chinese language material; Hsu Long-hsuen and Chang Ming-kai, History of The Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945). I have also looked at US military maps of 1954 - on those maps I traced Yangtze from Wuhan to Anqing and did not find towns or other marking similar to the listed names. But, now I see why I missed Kotien; it is in Hubei east of Wuhan, as you have pointed out. Much appreciation for that.
Well, if you do come across those locations and wish to share I would be most appreciative.
Robert

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”