Taku/Dagu late July 1938

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Jerry Asher

Taku/Dagu late July 1938

Post by Jerry Asher » 09 Oct 2013, 05:05

Is anybody able to add clarity to my understanding of events at Daku. I find no mention of the Imperial Japanese Navy as being in support of the early July 25th through 30th at Tianjin at all. I found one photograph of a seaplane captioned as being at Tianjin, but no mention as to the date or if its origin is that of a light cruiser or seaplane carrier/tender. I found a citation of elements of the 29th Army seeking to move close to the mouth of the river on both its north and south shores. What division? This move was disrupted by naval gunfire from DesDiv 14th on the 26th? which also put ashore a small shore party to protect Japanese owned wharfs, berths and warehouses at Daku. Some Chinese sources state Japanese 5th Division begins landing on the 30th--but that identification is suspect to me. However, the 11th Brigade of the 5th Division is reported near Tianjin. Did it move overland from Manchuria or Korea? or by ship/ships? I am almost embarrassed for my lack of understanding or clarity at this late date. Hope to hear from many. Many heartfelt thanks.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”