Early 20thC uniform help needed!

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Early 20thC uniform help needed!

Post by Chris Dale » 12 Mar 2014 12:03

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me to identify a uniform? Is this an officer of the Chinese Army? Can anyone date the photo roughly from this uniform?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers
Chris

Stephen_Rynerson

Re: Early 20thC uniform help needed!

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 14 Mar 2014 13:03

This is a very loosely informed guess but, looking through my Osprey books on Chinese uniforms, I think this could be a variant of a type of uniform worn by early Republican era cavalry troops in Tientsin. I'll try to post a picture later today, but it's the only example of a native Chinese double-breasted uniform jacket in any of the books and in one iteration the jacket has pointed turnback cuffs with piping like the jacket in your photo. That said, the jacket color, belt, and cap insignia in the book are different, which is why I'm doubtful about my own conclusion.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 16 Mar 2014 11:24

Hi Stephen,
Thanks very much for the clue. It is a strange photo isn't it? What's even stranger is the compnay this officer is keeping in the original photo-
image3aforum.jpg
Does that propmt any more clues?
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 16 Mar 2014 19:55

Ah, yes, that's an excellent clue! The full picture definitely supports my guess -- Imperial Germany had a concession in Tientsin (modern: Tianjin): http://www.bristol.ac.uk/tianjin-projec ... gs/german/

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 17 Mar 2014 11:58

I don't think so. These aren't from Germany's East Asian army. I think the photo is taken back in Germany with a visiting Chinese officer- perhaps he's there as a training excersise.

Does anyone know more about Chinese officers trained in Germany?

Cheers
Chris

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 28 Mar 2014 16:17

Why can't he simply be the Chinese Military "Attache" attending German Military maneuvers pre-WW1? Doubt there was much "training" going on as such.
John G.

Looks something like Nixons "White House Guard Uniform"..... :lol:

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 29 Mar 2014 16:14

Good point John, he could be. I thought it was officers being trained because in other photos from this collection there are five of them and this time they're wearing German uniform... does that throw up any more clues?
image1forum.jpg
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Post by YC Chen » 31 Mar 2014 05:30

Wow! This is the first time I have seen a photo of Chinese in 2nd Reich uniform. Really hope if anyone can unearth the story behind this photo...

As for the first photo, I don't know much about uniform but I have the feeling that the man is wearing Chinese uniform of late 1900s or 1910s.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 31 Mar 2014 11:21

Interesting isn't it? From the German uniforms, yes I agree with your dates, it's between 1897 and 1914. Here's another-
image2forum.jpg
Cheers
Chris

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”