Chinese military installations in Taiwan in 1895

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
islandee

Chinese military installations in Taiwan in 1895

Post by islandee » 13 Oct 2015, 05:42

I'm trying to flesh out a very sketchy history of a Japanese "spy" who may have started his career in Taiwan (see Early topo map work for Taiwan). When the Japanese Army occupied Taiwan in 1895, I have been assuming that it took over the existing bases and camps of the Chinese Army (and supplemented them as time went on). I get the impression now that there were very few permanent Chinese military installation on Taiwan at that time. Is there somewhere a list of Chinese military facilities existing in Taiwan when Japan took over in 1895?

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Re: Chinese military installations in Taiwan in 1895

Post by YC Chen » 13 Oct 2015, 17:37

Hello,

I don't have a full list of these military facilities; however in my opinion your assumption that there were few permanent Chinese military installation in Taiwan before 1895 is incorrect. I happen to have read some information on Chinese coastal artillery in Taiwan before 1895, they were all Armstrong breechloaders but of different caliber(AFAIK Taiwan was the only province that received these guns, other provinces received old Armstrong/Kiangnan muzzleloaders, Kiangnan breechloaders, Krupp breechloaders, etc. ), and one of them still survives. Also in Penghu there are cement batteries and barracks built by Chinese troops before 1895 that are still used by Taiwanese army today. Will write more detail when I have time to dig them out.

In fact Taiwan in late 19th century is one of China's most advanced province in infrastructure. It was one of the first provinces in China to have electricity, railway and telegraph, the latter is undoubtly for military purpose.

islandee

Re: Chinese military installations in Taiwan in 1895

Post by islandee » 13 Oct 2015, 18:38

Thank you. No problem your knowledgeably correcting me. I await your further input.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”