naval maneuvers 1915

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Jerry Asher

naval maneuvers 1915

Post by Jerry Asher » 18 Nov 2015, 04:06

I posted something like this on Japan at War a few days ago--BUT perhaps someone seeing it from the Chinese perspective may be able to help. Late on January 18th the Japanese ambassador at Beijing presented what was to a be a secret set of proposals over the future of China. Dubbed the 21 Demands, Chinese diplomatic resistance lead to a May ultimatum, which under duress the President signed. My questions relate as to what Japanese military moves were made to support the demands/ultimatum? One Chinese account that seven, unnamed warships were on the Yangzi. Because the proposals were to be secret, it seems doubtful that much overt activity would have taken place at first. Did the Japanese deploy at Qingdao? (they were repairing the harbor and salvaging the drydock and ships) there would have been some naval forces. In February the 3rd Fleet was reactivated with three armored cruisers but don't have data as to their deployments. In theory as Japan was a war, its warships could remain in Chinese ports but a few days. Many thanks in advance---SORRY, I am always so long winded.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”