Uniform origins?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Garuda
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: 02 Jul 2006 09:07
Location: kuala lumpur

Uniform origins?

Post by Garuda » 03 Jul 2016 00:33

I didn't want to restart an old thread from 2004 so I posted this new message.
Let me get this right.First Japan's military uniform was influenced by the Prussians.And then in the 1930s the Guomintang army uniform was influenced by the Germans.So that is why both of them are identical i.e. brown and have similar collar badges right?But then Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform can't be that similar so how did China and Japan both have identical uniforms?

L1E1
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Feb 2011 15:20

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by L1E1 » 03 Jul 2016 07:18

National revolutionary army's uniform (1925-1946) was a modified "Zhongshan suit". The suit was designed by Dr Sun ZhongShan who took reference on the Japanese student suit that Dr Sun used to dress in Japan. And the Japanese student suit itself took reference on the Imperial Japanese army suit.

Garuda
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: 02 Jul 2006 09:07
Location: kuala lumpur

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by Garuda » 03 Jul 2016 08:50

L1E1 wrote:National revolutionary army's uniform (1925-1946) was a modified "Zhongshan suit". The suit was designed by Dr Sun ZhongShan who took reference on the Japanese student suit that Dr Sun used to dress in Japan. And the Japanese student suit itself took reference on the Imperial Japanese army suit.
The other eight divisions trained by Germany had more similarities to Nazi uniforms rather than the rest of the National revolutionary army's uniform right?

L1E1
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Feb 2011 15:20

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by L1E1 » 03 Jul 2016 10:17

No. The central troops 中央军 wear the same type of uniform (Type 1936). But due to the supply of M35 helmet, others divisions (and in fact part of the 8 Division) have the Brodie helmet.

Eugen Pinak
Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 16 Jun 2004 16:09
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by Eugen Pinak » 04 Jul 2016 10:46

Garuda wrote:Let me get this right.First Japan's military uniform was influenced by the Prussians.And then in the 1930s the Guomintang army uniform was influenced by the Germans.So that is why both of them are identical i.e. brown and have similar collar badges right?But then Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform can't be that similar so how did China and Japan both have identical uniforms?
1. First military uniforms of Japan were influenced by France. Than was Prussian influence, but by the time of Russo-Japanese War Japanese army uniform was a product of independent uniform design.

2. Japanese uniforms were copied by newborn Chinese republic due to the strong Japanese influence.

3. Neither Japanese nor Chinese army uniforms were copy of Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform.

Garuda
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: 02 Jul 2006 09:07
Location: kuala lumpur

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by Garuda » 04 Jul 2016 17:07

Eugen Pinak wrote:
Garuda wrote:Let me get this right.First Japan's military uniform was influenced by the Prussians.And then in the 1930s the Guomintang army uniform was influenced by the Germans.So that is why both of them are identical i.e. brown and have similar collar badges right?But then Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform can't be that similar so how did China and Japan both have identical uniforms?
1. First military uniforms of Japan were influenced by France. Than was Prussian influence, but by the time of Russo-Japanese War Japanese army uniform was a product of independent uniform design.

2. Japanese uniforms were copied by newborn Chinese republic due to the strong Japanese influence.

3. Neither Japanese nor Chinese army uniforms were copy of Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=60378

"Not sure about the Japanese uniforms, but many Chinese soldiers wore German outfits almost identical to the ones Germans wore."

"My understanding on influence is that Japanese uniforms had been influenced first by the French, then the Prussians after 1870"

Just to be sure for my essay,these statements above that came from the link are incorrect right?(No offense meant personally to those who made those statements)

Eugen Pinak
Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 16 Jun 2004 16:09
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Uniform origins?

Post by Eugen Pinak » 04 Jul 2016 21:25

Garuda wrote:
Eugen Pinak wrote:
Garuda wrote:Let me get this right.First Japan's military uniform was influenced by the Prussians.And then in the 1930s the Guomintang army uniform was influenced by the Germans.So that is why both of them are identical i.e. brown and have similar collar badges right?But then Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform can't be that similar so how did China and Japan both have identical uniforms?
1. First military uniforms of Japan were influenced by France. Than was Prussian influence, but by the time of Russo-Japanese War Japanese army uniform was a product of independent uniform design.

2. Japanese uniforms were copied by newborn Chinese republic due to the strong Japanese influence.

3. Neither Japanese nor Chinese army uniforms were copy of Prussian uniform and the Third Reich uniform.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=60378

"Not sure about the Japanese uniforms, but many Chinese soldiers wore German outfits almost identical to the ones Germans wore."

"My understanding on influence is that Japanese uniforms had been influenced first by the French, then the Prussians after 1870"

Just to be sure for my essay,these statements above that came from the link are incorrect right?(No offense meant personally to those who made those statements)
The first statement is obviously incorrect.
Compare photos and pictures of Chinese uniforms with this: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Early-Weh ... -272247825 and this http://www.thehistorybunker.co.uk/acata ... an1916.jpg - different cut, different color, different insignia.

As for the second statement - it is basically correct, though detailed story runs deeper, than "Japanese uniforms had been influenced first by the French, then the Prussians".

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”