Some unknow military persons

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
ttvon

Some unknow military persons

Post by ttvon » 23 Nov 2016 14:17

This is the first time that I see the pic which Chinese military persons are with a Luftwaffe plane in WW2.
But who are Maj.Hwang,Gen.Lam,Gen.Hoo and Col.Lee?
Also hope anyone tell me their names in Chinese.

Thanks!

ttvon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The 51st Division

Re: Some unknow military persons

Post by The 51st Division » 24 Nov 2016 00:36

I know that in 1943 there was a Chinese military mission sent to N. Africa, possibly with the intent to salvage some German weaponry. Information about this obscure mission is very scarce. Something interesting like this should be of at least some significance to the Chinese military, and yet I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in Chinese sources (that I have read, of course).

Here's some more photos of the same mission, led by "General Hoo" :

Tunis, Tunisia. Major General H.C. Hoo, tank expert and head of the Chinese military mission to North Africa, inspecting captured German guns with Lieutenant B. Zeff, British ordnance officer 1943 May 20. (source: US Library of Congress)
"The nation might be powerful, yet it shall be destroyed if it seeks war; the world might be peaceful, yet it shall be doomed if it forgets war."
--The Method of the Sima, Qin Dynasty Chinese Military Classic

The 51st Division

Re: Some unknow military persons

Post by The 51st Division » 24 Nov 2016 01:18

I'VE FOUND IT!

The info on your image caption was really helpful. Normally it's pretty hard to identify a Chinese person simply by his surname (most Chinese surnames are very common), but with the ranks and especially their military branches I've been able to dig up some info on this Chinese mission.

It's called the North Africa Observation Mission (北非观战团), officially established in March 1943 and head by Maj. Gen. Hu Xianqun (胡献群, aka the mysterious "General Hoo"), who was one of the early founders of China's limited armoured forces and a graduate of the British Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, so a perfect choice as the leader for this mission to observe and study modern western military in action. The mission first spent some time in Cairo and other areas, before travelling to the frontline of Montgomery's 8th Army. The mission eventually returned back to China sometime around May.

I've also found the names of the two air force officers: Maj. Huang Chubiao (黄褚彪) and Maj. Gen. Lin Weicheng (林伟成), apparently they were the only two air force members of this observation mission. I probably can find out some more names now that I know the details about this mission.

Fun Fact: Maj. Gen. Lin was the only recorded Chinese military member to directly participate in WWII in Europe. On 25 May he got special permission to board a B-25 from either the 2nd or 301st BG of the US Twelfth Air Force in one of its bombing runs to Sicily's Comiso Airfield. He released the bombs himself, thus "directly participated" in the war against Germany and Italy.

Here's a link to the story (and a general history of the North Africa Observation Mission) in Chinese:
http://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=23 ... 5095030025
(Google Translate is actually pretty decent with English-Chinese, surprising.)
"The nation might be powerful, yet it shall be destroyed if it seeks war; the world might be peaceful, yet it shall be doomed if it forgets war."
--The Method of the Sima, Qin Dynasty Chinese Military Classic

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”