Chinese Company and Platoons?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
DonMegel

Chinese Company and Platoons?

Post by DonMegel » 21 Mar 2017, 18:05

I am curious about the operation of Battalion, Company, and Platoons in the Warlord armies. In Western armies each Company had about 4 Platoons, each with 60 or so men for a Company total of 240-260. The Company HQ would coordinate the Platoons attack or defense and set up a supply dump for the Platoons to withdraw from. There would be about 4 Companies in a Battalion. (Very general description)

Is this how it worked in Warlord China? Did the Company HQ accompany one of the Platoons or was it set apart? Did Platoons exist at all? Was there a Company level supply dump or was there a supply dump at all?

Most of the sources I can find talk about Regiment and higher, anything you have on Battalion and lower as far as organization, tactics, logistics, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

DonMegel

Re: Chinese Company and Platoons?

Post by DonMegel » 22 Mar 2017, 14:39

Anyone?

I understand the Warlord armies had a variety of techniques and training levels. Some had been trained by the Japanese, others by the Soviets. How closely did they follow these models? Or, did they have their own?

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 22 Mar 2017, 16:14

AFAIK, Chinese infantry doctrine was not much different from that of developed countries. Of course, reality was often something entirely different :)
Once again, Chinese TO&Es were not much different from that of developed countries. You can find a lot of data on TO&Es and even some actual organizations and Chinese infantry weapons in this book: "Kangzhan: Guide to Chinese Ground Forces 1937–45" by Leland Ness and Bin Shih. But here as well real life Chinese organizations could wary greatly.

DonMegel

Post by DonMegel » 22 Mar 2017, 17:00

Thank you, I will take a look at that.

I was thinking the 'on paper' army was organized along Western models, but do we have anything that goes into the actual practices of the ground forces?

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 23 Mar 2017, 12:55

DonMegel wrote:I was thinking the 'on paper' army was organized along Western models, but do we have anything that goes into the actual practices of the ground forces?
China had numerous military forces of various origin, that differed in both leadership, organization, equipment and training. I don't think you'll be able to find even general description of them all.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”