Wade–Giles or Pinyin

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Robert24

Wade–Giles or Pinyin

Post by Robert24 » 14 Mar 2021, 23:13

When writing about the Second Sino-Japanese War is it acceptable to use the Wade–Giles romanization system for Mandarin Chinese?

If so, is there a difference when writing about a city or person's name?

Any answer is appreciated.

jerryasher

Re: Wade–Giles or Pinyin

Post by jerryasher » 15 Mar 2021, 07:58

Hi Robert:
Just my opinion: whatever writing we do is for the future, the young people will not have heard of my generations exposure--- two instances from India for example Calcutta and Bombay would be difficult to find on a printed map now. Same thing for Canton or Hankow. I suspect --digitized searches, handle the issue better than print A standardized Glossary may be best. What's worse is that even in Wade-Giles, spelling was inconsistent and particularly if reading newspapers, reporters didn't waste much time on getting the locales right. One of my favorite lines is in a Brill publication relating to Dutch Intelligence--something along the lines of the impossibility of place names.

Sid Guttridge

Re: Wade–Giles or Pinyin

Post by Sid Guttridge » 15 Mar 2021, 08:40

Hi Guys,

I understand that Pinyin is at least partly based on Albanian pronunciation, particularly the "Q". It was supposedly chosen because Albania was China's only European Ally when it was introduced.

If so, its influence on Pinyin must surely be Albania's greatest international contribution?

Cheers,

Sid

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”