My Taiwanise Parents

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Edward L. Hsiao

My Taiwanise Parents

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 03 Feb 2004 01:20

Gentlemen!

My folks were born in the 1930's in what was formerly known as Formosa (renamed Taiwan). As kids they suffered under Japanese harsh rule during World War II. They also have to endure the bombings from the planes of the United States. If they haven't survive the the War I wouldn't have been born in New Orleans,Louisiana in 1964. I really hate the Japanese military because of the atrocities against the Chinese people and of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. Sometime I thought that Japan should not have an army, navy, and airforce today. Today however Japan is sending a small army to Iraq and the citizens of Japan has mixed feelings. :x

Sincerely,

Edward

adrian

Post by adrian » 03 Feb 2004 02:05

Just before this descends into an unseemly brawl can I say this?

Both my Grandfathers were PoW's of the Japanese (both part of the 8th Australian Division), both captured at Singapore in Feb 1942. Both of them suffered at the hands of the Imperial Japanese,both lost friends and comrades and both undoubtedly suffered a great deal of mental stress in later years.

Neither of them had hatred for the Japanese. Neither went to the grave pledging eternal revenge. Neither of them ever forgot but both forgave. To carry hatred is just as bad as the original crime. Every time I hear or see something about the Balkan region I see why blind hatred is just that - blind.

Lets not let this topic go much further please.

adrian

Windward
Financial supporter

Post by Windward » 03 Feb 2004 12:26

Hey Adrian, would you accept a rearmed Germany if it:

1, deny the Holocaust;
2, refused to give reparations to slave labors, death camp survivers and sex slaves of its army;
3, built shrine for Hitler, Goering, Goebel and other suicided or executed Nazi leaders, the Reichskanzler hold a memorial ceremony for them in every year;
4, said they "liberated" Poland, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Norway, France, Belgium, Netherland blah blah

Maybe because of you Aussies haven't suffered from the cruel Japanese occupy and rule, if your people and your country had tasted it, you''ll understand what Hsiao says.

Chinese and Korean rage is not against Japanese people, but their irresponsible government and politicians.

regards

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 04 Feb 2004 03:55

A pointed parabel Windward and certainly food for thought - thanks for your post, Varjag

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 04 Feb 2004 09:47

Adrian, your grandparents must be very patient, understanding and forgiving people. Those traits I admire in people, but I'm afraid to say they're only prevailent in only a few people.

Please try to understand that Edward is very angry because his parents were the ones mistreated by the Japanese. Because of the Japanese they had to flee to America. When your grandparents came back to Australia, they came back to probably more or less the same place. Aside from war mobilisation etc, they would still have their home, their neighbours would probably be there, their wives (or girlfriends) would be waiting for them and your grandfathers could probably still goto their favourite pub for a beer with the lads (if they were there or survived).

Its the comforts of home, stability and returning to what one cherishes that helps heal wounds.

However for Edward, the Japanese not only took over the land his parents loved, because of their actions, Taiwan was not only terrorised by the Japanese, but later by the Americans and now by the Chinese. They would've had to move to America, begin life anew in a new and foreign land. No friends, no connections, a land with different customs, a whole different language to learn and the white American people have never been known to welcome immigrants with open arms and no offense to the Americans on these forums, but they are generally ignorant and and dismissive of foreign customs and culture.

So even after the initial terror and heartbreak of World War 2, Edward's parents probably still had to endure several years. Not from downright terror, but probably more from confusion and the feeling you get when you constantly feel you just don't belong but want to do your best in order to do so even if it means having to cease doing things you've been brought up your entire life doing.

Sorry for going on a rant here, lads, but I would just like to say that no two peoples' experiences are the same. I'll leave it at that.

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 05 Feb 2004 13:26

It is true that Japanese anti-American emotion against allied occupied forces was weak enough in contrast with the well-known determinedness of Japanese soldiers during the war, but it certainly existed, even if it was mixed, subtle ingredient of Japanese mind.
Rikidozan was an able promoter, as well as a professional wrestler in 1950s. He invited many American wrestler to Japan; they looked awful, strong and powerful. They drove Rikidozan into the corner, but at last Rikidozan, an ex-sumo wrestler, beated them down by his Karate-Chop, for which Japaneses yelled and cheered. He was killed in small quarrel with Japanese yakuza gang, but he lives in the mind of many elderly Japaneses; he gave them a hope and fighting spirit. Perhaps many Japaneses knew he was a son-in-law of a Japanese, but Japanese media of the day ignored his real name as a Korean, Kim Shin-rak.

Hisashi Namikawa

Andy

Post by Andy » 08 Feb 2004 23:37

It is over, why do the japanese of today have to apologize for what their ancestors did? Most people of the WWII era are dead, it is over and it is time to move on.

Shaara

Post by Shaara » 09 Feb 2004 20:12

To Andy,

According to your logic, shall we forget the holocaust in Europe? The problems of Japan is the most war criminals were still not punished. the Japanese government even deny this event and refuse to acknowledge their involvement in these atrocities in the war.The damage of Old Japanese army still exists. For example, the Japanese chemistry weapon left in China still hurt people in China even today. Last August, more than 20 Chinese citizens were hurt by Japanese remain weapons in Jilin.

Facing the turth is not just for victims, also for today's Japan. When truth is buired ubder ground it grows, it gathers such an explosive force that on the day it bursts out, it blows up everything with it. Every war has its casualties and hopefully understanding this event may prevent something this horrendous from ever happening again.

Andy

Post by Andy » 09 Feb 2004 23:30

My post was in respons to the original post. The original poster still has a grudge against the Japanese because what happened to hist parents. That is completely ridiculous. So the Japanese haven't apologized, it is not that big of deal. Has the United States apologized to the native americans? has britain apologized to Inda? Has the communist party of china apologized to the chinese!? The war is over, and it definitely is time to move on. That is what the problem with this world is, people can't seem to forgive, that is why the war started in the first place.

Edward L. Hsiao

I still hate the Japanese!

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 10 Feb 2004 07:34

Dear Sir,

Maybe you can forgive, but I knew I can't! Perhaps plenty of Japanese War Criminals that hasn't been punished for their crimes had already been judged by God and probably in the lake of fire right now! :x Please don't think I could forget the Asian Holocaust right away!

Edward

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 10 Feb 2004 12:37

Andy wrote:My post was in respons to the original post. The original poster still has a grudge against the Japanese because what happened to hist parents. That is completely ridiculous. So the Japanese haven't apologized, it is not that big of deal. Has the United States apologized to the native americans? has britain apologized to Inda? Has the communist party of china apologized to the chinese!? The war is over, and it definitely is time to move on. That is what the problem with this world is, people can't seem to forgive, that is why the war started in the first place.
Just because those aforementioned nations have not apologised to the people they wronged does NOT make it alright for other nations to take that as a precidence and not apologise to people they've wronged.

Also. Realise that forgiveness between two people and forgiveness between two nations are very different things.

hauptmannn

Post by hauptmannn » 22 Feb 2004 06:03

Can i just ask what is the point of this thread? Is it just so that you can convey your hatred of the Japanese to the forum members? (which i think is the purpose) or to talk about the attrocities of the Japanese, which has been discussed hundreds of times, as with the German attrocities.

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 22 Feb 2004 06:08

The purpose of this thread is about how Edward feels about the former Japanese occupation of Taiwan.

hauptmannn

Post by hauptmannn » 22 Feb 2004 10:38

Then it is a very self-centred and if i may say so stupid thread. Because this merely focusses on blaming the Japanese people as a whole.

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 23 Feb 2004 07:40

hauptmannn wrote:Then it is a very self-centred and if i may say so stupid thread. Because this merely focusses on blaming the Japanese people as a whole.
Maybe.

But then again, he is entitled to an opinion.

And as far as I know, this opinion is well within the guidelines of these forums.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”