Thompson submachinegun made in China!

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
ancientcoins

Thompson submachinegun made in China!

Post by ancientcoins » 10 Jul 2004 17:27

3 pictures are from this site:
http://www.sonicchat.com/topicdisplay.a ... cID=619217
shows the Thompson submachinegun manufactured in Taiyuan arsenal Shanxi,China.
Second picture:Chinese on the submachinegun means:Submachinegun manufactured in July,the 17th year of The Republic of China(1928) by Taiyuan arsenal.
Third picture:a Chinese gunner with a Thompson on his back in Xinkou frontline during the battle of Shanxi in 1937

gewehrdork

i

Post by gewehrdork » 11 Jul 2004 18:55

That is neat , and surprises me little the chinese made such a copy.The chinese broomhandle C96 mauser pistols in 45 caliber are rather neat and expensive !!. Love to get one of those 45 cal C96's some day for sheer plinking fun

ancientcoins

Post by ancientcoins » 12 Jul 2004 10:53

Gewehrdork,you can try your best to communicate with chief of the People's Military museum of China and make friends with him(or her,I am not sure),maybe you will succeed in achieving your goal for free!
:D :D!haha,just joking!
I only know that during 1920s and 1930s,arsenals in Hanyang(now the capital of Hubei province in central China),Gongyi(in central China's Henan province),Hunan province have all manufactured mauser C96 pistols to a great number.They have both German and the Chinese arsenal's name on their body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varjag
Financial supporter

Re: i

Post by varjag » 12 Jul 2004 13:10

gewehrdork wrote:That is neat , and surprises me little the chinese made such a copy.The chinese broomhandle C96 mauser pistols in 45 caliber are rather neat and expensive !!. Love to get one of those 45 cal C96's some day for sheer plinking fun
May be too late for the show gewehrdork - but there were some .45ACP 'Yen' type pistols offered in Australia about five years ago (= after the 'I hate guns' John Howard laws were enacted) to exclude just about anyone from having them. They were of the order US$ 3000 - but MORE laws since from gun-hating John Howard have excluded them too - from legal ownership.

gewehrdork

c

Post by gewehrdork » 13 Jul 2004 03:10

V ; I recall around the same time here in the US a major importer brought in a couple hundred of these.The importer had them all refinished and repaired where necessarry. They started at $2k each and went up from there according to condition of bore and least amount of pitting.
Around 15 years ago a friend of mine made trips to Century Arms and bought chinese used and chinese made C96 pistols by the bushel.Some decent , some real ratty.He even managed a german made "schnellfeuer" in one group buy that the century guys thought was just another rusty C96. It was a shame but it appeared the majority of such obsolescent arms really got poor treatment and storage in china.Maybe it was because most of those C96's were marked to Rural chinese police forces.

gewehrdork

c

Post by gewehrdork » 13 Jul 2004 03:11

V ; I recall around the same time here in the US a major importer brought in a couple hundred of these.The importer had them all refinished and repaired where necessarry. They started at $2k each and went up from there according to condition of bore and least amount of pitting.
Around 15 years ago a friend of mine made trips to Century Arms and bought chinese used and chinese made C96 pistols by the bushel.Some decent , some real ratty.He even managed a german made "schnellfeuer" in one group buy that the century guys thought was just another rusty C96. It was a shame but it appeared the majority of such obsolescent arms really got poor treatment and storage in china.Maybe it was because most of those C96's were marked to Rural chinese police forces.

ancientcoins

Re: c

Post by ancientcoins » 13 Jul 2004 05:02

gewehrdork wrote:Maybe it was because most of those C96's were marked to Rural chinese police forces.
Not exactly!In China,central and rural military forces,police forces,robbers and guerillas have all used this pistol!Because individual possession of gun is illegal in new China,it is not surprising that C96s remained are stored in a bad condition in some military warehouses after not being used for years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varjag
Financial supporter

Re: c

Post by varjag » 14 Jul 2004 11:20

gewehrdork wrote:V ; I recall around the same time here in the US a major importer brought in a couple hundred of these.The importer had them all refinished and repaired where necessarry. They started at $2k each and went up from there according to condition of bore and least amount of pitting.
'dork' - you are right, there was some interesting stuff turning up from China in those imports. I recall a picture of ONE ONLY C/96 (German/Chinese?) otherwise standard, but with a 20-rd fixed magazine housing. Wonder what happened to it?

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”