Chinese divisions in Shan States, April-May 1942

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Klemen L.

Chinese divisions in Shan States, April-May 1942

Post by Klemen L. » 14 Feb 2006, 02:18

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could recommend me any good book(s) about Chinese Expeditionary Army in Burma in April-May 1942, particularly about the military operations of Chinese 93rd and 200th Divisions in Shan States from 5th May to 1st January 1943. I'm looking for some info about the Chinese troops that faced the Thai army in Shan States.

Klemen

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 14 Feb 2006, 18:05

Hi,

I am just now reading a book called "Stillwell and the American Experience in China" by Barbara Tuchman. While the book is long, I have found it to be very good and easy reading, and so far has the most information I have ever seen about the Chinese divisions in Burma. I don't recollect the Thai army being mentioned, but the 200th and 93rd divisions as well as some other Chinese units are mentioned specifically many times during the fighting before Burma was captured by Japan. This book has good information about the Chinese strategy and command, but not so much on the tactical level.

Regards,
Mike

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 15 Feb 2006, 01:44

I am just now reading a book called "Stillwell and the American Experience in China" by Barbara Tuchman. While the book is long, I have found it to be very good and easy reading, and so far has the most information I have ever seen about the Chinese divisions in Burma. I don't recollect the Thai army being mentioned, but the 200th and 93rd divisions as well as some other Chinese units are mentioned specifically many times during the fighting before Burma was captured by Japan. This book has good information about the Chinese strategy and command, but not so much on the tactical level.
Hi Mike: Thanks for your reply. Yes, the Chinese Nationalist Forces were involved in the war against Thailand from May 1942 to January 1943. The combat activities were mostly in the northeastern corner of Burma called the Shan States, at the four border between Burma, Laos, China and Thailand. The capital of this area is Keng-Tung. Her eis a short article about this forgotten war: http://www.cpamedia.com/history/thailand_in_shan_state/

Would appreciate any exceprts fgrom Barbara Tuchman's work, where she mentions 93rd and 200th Divisions in Shan States. Pay special attention to the period from ca. May 10, 1942 to January 1, 1943. I have already checked the British Official History of Burma Campaign and it is very confusing with Thai records about which unit defended this area.

Klemen

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » 16 Feb 2006, 05:45

There is a book called "The Big Circle", written by a Chinese author, which covers the Chinese divisions in Burma, but it might only cover the Chinese Army in India in the 1943-45 campaign. I don't have the book myself.

Most other books on the first Burma campaign (in English) at least mention the Chinese divisions in the Shan States, especially as the collapse there (started by the disintigration of the 55th Division) doomed any attempt to hold on to northern Burma. The heroic stand of the 200th division at Toungoo is usually mentioned as well.

The most detailed histories of these divisions would most likely be found in Taiwan or Japan. The ROC government in Taiwan produced a detailed military history of the war in English and it might be available in a university library. The Japanese history of the war (I believe there is a condensed version available in English) might also shed more light on this part of the campaign.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 16 Feb 2006, 06:42

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 17 Feb 2006, 00:45

The most detailed histories of these divisions would most likely be found in Taiwan or Japan. The ROC government in Taiwan produced a detailed military history of the war in English and it might be available in a university library. The Japanese history of the war (I believe there is a condensed version available in English) might also shed more light on this part of the campaign.
Hsu Long-hsuen & Chang Ming-kai's "History of The Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945)" doesn't mention anything about the campaign in Shan States. As far as the first part is concerned I hope you are right. So far all Chinese and Taiwanese I have spoken with didn't/couldn't find any detailed books about Chinese army in Shan States 1942.

I am not interested in the Japanese version of events in Shan States. Only in Chinese.

asiaticus

comments on the Shan State campaign

Post by asiaticus » 18 Feb 2006, 20:15

Here are some comments on the Shan State campaign from Chinese and Thai sources on the CDF forum:

http://www.china-defense.com/forum/inde ... opic=10622

King Maker

Post by King Maker » 03 Jul 2006, 15:47

Here check the my friend's website that has the information:

http://geocities.com/thailandwwii/shan1.html

Wisarut

Re: comments on the Shan State campaign

Post by Wisarut » 01 Aug 2012, 04:32

asiaticus wrote:Here are some comments on the Shan State campaign from Chinese and Thai sources on the CDF forum:

http://www.china-defense.com/forum/inde ... opic=10622
Cannot login to see the content ... Please quote if possible instead...

Leo Niehorster

Re: Chinese divisions in Shan States, April-May 1942

Post by Leo Niehorster » 01 Aug 2012, 10:18

You need to register to see the forum.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”