Hungarian Stugs

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
greg higdon

Hungarian Stugs

Post by greg higdon » 11 Sep 2005, 10:54

Hello,
Does anyone have any information on Stugs used by Hungary in WW 2, camouflage patterns, divisional markings etc. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.
TIA Greg Higdon

CB1

StuG

Post by CB1 » 13 Sep 2005, 10:55

Hi,

In JUN44 the 2nd Hungarian Armored Division received 10 pieces of StuG III. G. in Poland alongside with 10 Pz. VI. E’s. As the Tigers kept their German camo, insignia and numbering I think it is safe to assume that the StuGs also.

During the summer of 1944 top brass of the Army decided to enhance the capabilities of the Hungarian infantry divisions by assigning an assault artillery battalion to each of them. A battalion would contain three batteries, each battery would consist of 10 vehicles. Hungary produced an assault howitzer (43M Zrinyi) but there was only some 70 pieces altogether so to equip the 8 proposed battalions they had to turn to the Germans. The Germans gave 40 StuG III. G’s and some 130 Hetzers. In the end 2 battalions (1st and 10th) were equipped with Zrinyis, 1 battalion (7th) was equipped with StuGs and the rest with Hetzers and whatever they could find.

Regarding camo, insignia and markings: I have seen only two pictures of Hungarian StuGs but they were low quality and gave no indication. I have seen a Hetzer though that bore the Hungarian version of the Balkenkreuz (full black square with a white cross) so I assume the StuGs were also repainted. Unit markings: I am not sure but I seem to remember that assault arty had its own markings: a skull facing left with a cannon and rod crossed under it, three cannonballs under the crossed tube&rod and the number of the unit under the cannonballs.

Bye,
Krisz

CB1

Photos

Post by CB1 » 16 Sep 2005, 00:27

Hi,

A couple of StuGs of 7th AstArtyBtn (Do not expect much though)

And here is the AstArty badge. It seems I remembered well.

I hope the links are OK. It is the first time I try to do such a thing...

Oh, and the copyright issue: the top one comes from Bonhardt/Sárhidai/Winkler: A Magyar Királyi Honvédség fegyverzete; the second from Szabó/Számvéber: A keleti hadszíntér és Magyarország 1943-45; and the last from Modell és Makett extra.

Bye,
Krisz

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”