If WW1 had continued into 1919 and 1920 would those years have resembled WW2 more than 1914-16?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
MarkN

Re: If WW1 had continued into 1919 and 1920 would those years have resembled WW2 more than 1914-16?

Post by MarkN » 13 Nov 2017, 20:17

This thread has been a huge source of hilarity - especially the posts of one individual. We've had several posts along this line...
Plain Old Dave wrote:Here we go, AGAIN. Incredible, but fact time.

The Fifth Marines won WW1 OTL by completely stopping the Germans at Belleau Wood, [blah, blah, blah....]...
Yep, the 5th Marines stopped the Germans (the entire German Army it seems) at Belleau Wood and thus won the war!!!!! By that same logic every time a unit managed to halt a German offensive in their sector of the line, they won the war. Hurrah! All we have to do now is decide who of the numerous claims is the more deserving. :lol:

And then when challenged with history, we are told that history is just a "European history" deliberately distorting the 'facts'.
And when presented with a paper from a US military educational establishment saying pretty much the same thing about the AEF as the distorting Europeans, we are told it is deliberate US Army disinformation.
And when it is pointed out it was a US Naval officer who wrote the paper, we are told US Army institutions only allow people to write positive things about them - even though the paper is highly critical.
How very sad that one has to take that approach to anything that doesn't fit one's agenda.

Then we are told "the plain historic fact is the Allies were on the verge of disaster in 1917" whilst the AEF was as fresh as a daisy. Well yeah!!! Some had been fighting tooth and nail for 3 years whilst others sat on the sidelines. I bet if the UK sat on the sidelines war proiteering for 3 years they could have stepped in at the last moment and claimed the glory too. :wink:

And finally, the funniest of all (my underlining)...
Plain Old Dave wrote: That is PRECISELY what it is. And it's deeply offensive. I will continue to fight it until an Admin asks me to stop or I'm banned from here.
.... followed by ....
Plain Old Dave wrote:This just isn't fun anymore. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Is that a standard USMC combat tactic: jump in with both feet, cause a stir, claim you'll stand firm and never back down, .... and then run away? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just plain silly

The Ibis

Re: If WW1 had continued into 1919 and 1920 would those years have resembled WW2 more than 1914-16?

Post by The Ibis » 13 Nov 2017, 22:55

T. A. Gardner wrote:
pugsville wrote:I don't thing the French High command thought much differently, but the decision was political not Pershing's to make. But none of this was actually the subject on debate. The importance of the AEF contribution in 1918.
The subject of this debate is the war continues into 1919 and 1920. The US contribution would have continued to increase in size and importance with every passing month. France and Britain were drained of troops, if not in the poor economic shape Germany was. They would have been heavily dependent, particularly the French who's army had already mutinied once, on the US for troops to send on the offensive.
That, in turn, means that the US Army would have increasingly had a say in decision making. The French and British would have had little choice but to let that happen if they wanted US cooperation. We can already see that the US Army rejected putting US divisions under direct French command. By 1919 I'd think the US could and probably would be dictating where they were going to launch an offensive.

Hi Terry. In terms of influence, think that is more true on the political level than the military side. The Americans would still be dependent on French and British weapons for a long time into 1919, which would have given them a lever in the conduct of the ground war.

I'm not going to discuss in detail your point about the state of British or French war weariness. Generally, I don't think the situation was as dire as you suggest for the French and British - if for no other reasons than the ability to tap into imperial assets and the reduction of commitments resulting from the defeat of Germany's allies allowing for greater use of Anglo-French forces in Western Europe.
We can already see that the US Army rejected putting US divisions under direct French command.
Except when they didn't. The US Army rejected amalgamation. The Army went along with putting US divisions under both French and British command when it made sense to do so. There was some intermingling of US and French divisions right up through the end of the war. For instance, two US divisions were under French XVII Corps command in early November. French XVII Corps was placed under US Second Army, which was going to be transferred to de Castelnau's Eastern Army Group for the planned Lorraine Offensive.
By 1919 I'd think the US could and probably would be dictating where they were going to launch an offensive.
They didn't have the logistical capability to do that and they weren't really building towards it yet - they were busy sorting out their immediate problems. Plus, they were part of a coalition whose members weren't the sort to be dominated.
That doesn't change that neither Britain or France had hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, of fresh troops to shove into the line for an offensive. The US did. Britain and France came close to defeat in the Kaiser offensives of early 1918. Without US intervention, it is highly likely that a negotiated armistice and peace would have occurred. Britain and France on their own were as worn out from the war as Germany. Sure, their economies were doing better but they really lacked the manpower to go on the offensive in mid to late 1918 without the US, particularly France. France was down to using just colonial divisions for offensive purposes. Their own troops had mutinied and France was almost completely unwilling to use them offensively for fear of a second mutiny.
The French only raised something like 660,000 colonial troops during the entire war. While some of these soldiers were used in assault units towards the end of the war, there were only so many - thus, plenty of Metropolitan French troops were on the offensive during 1918.

Also, the mutinies were dealt with and Morale had been restored by the end of 1917 through Petain's reforms and small (well, small compared to the objectives of Third Champagne or Second Aisne), but important victories such as La Malmaison. Morale fluctuated in the French army in 1918 as in every other year. It was fine early, sank a bit during the Spring Offensives, rebounded in the summer and remained good until the very end of 1918, when it started to flag again, if not like the previous year. My take is the soldiers knew the war was as good as done* and they didn't want to suffer anymore. Thus, after Soissons and Noyon, they attacked, but sometimes, even often, without the famed "furia française" of years gone by. What 1919 would have looked like is anyone's guess - and that's true of ALL of the armies in the field.

*I think that was especially true after the German peace feelers in October. I don't give Haig's complaints about Debeney too much credence, although maybe I should, as Foch railed at Debeney too. Notwithstanding, Debeney's First was only one of several field armies, and others performed differently, at different times, as all armies do.
All the US army needed was more experience. So you admit they were not magically the best soldiers at trench warfare on the western front? They also needed to learn from their experience, changing doctrine and belief is not easy for large organisations like the AEF, and winning despite not being all that good does not make the case for change stronger. defeat often is a better educator than victory.
We agree on this. The US needed to learn. 60 to 90 days of combat with a division would have been sufficent and the US within six to nine months would have been on par with British and French troops in terms of combat proficiency. But, given by early 1919 the US would have had several corps consisting of entirely US Army forces in France, they'd be the major player by mid 1919 for offensive action. They'd outnumber the British and like it or not, Pershing and the rest of the top brass in the US Army weren't about to let Britain or France run their war for them.
Yes, the US would have learned a lot had the war went on. Its influence would have grown in proportion to its size, surely. Whether its competence would have matched the French and British is something we'll never know. Those armies got really good and getting that good is something that takes years to do. As for dictating events, remember that Pershing wasn't adverse to working in a coalition (even if he was, he didn't have much choice), and overall strategy was still going to be directed by Foch, whose prestige was sky high.
Last edited by The Ibis on 14 Nov 2017, 01:44, edited 4 times in total.
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 14 Nov 2017, 00:37

T. A. Gardner wrote:h
That doesn't change that neither Britain or France had hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, of fresh troops to shove into the line for an offensive. The US did. Britain and France came close to defeat in the Kaiser offensives of early 1918. Without US intervention, it is highly likely that a negotiated armistice and peace would have occurred. Britain and France on their own were as worn out from the war as Germany. Sure, their economies were doing better but they really lacked the manpower to go on the offensive in mid to late 1918 without the US, particularly France. France was down to using just colonial divisions for offensive purposes. Their own troops had mutinied and France was almost completely unwilling to use them offensively for fear of a second mutiny.
I fond this paragraph wrong on all points.

Britain deployed 400,000 fresh troops to the Western Front in 1918.

Britain and France did have hundreds of thousands pf troops to deploy in 1919. The Collaspe of the other central powers would have freed other a large number of troops that could be redeployed against Germany.

No the Allies were not close to defeat by the german spring offensives. (Close is matter of opinion) The German offensives while spectataclur took nothing of importance, and destroyed the German army. Sure the Allies were concerned, but the situation was not that bad.

Neither the british of French political leadership would have considered a negotiated peace unless things were a lot worse.

British and France were NOT as worn the war as Germany. They were quite capable and did go in the offensives quite successfully in 1918. Yup there were under stress and strain but they were in much better shape than Germany. The British and French believed that the Germans were in better shape than they actually were and really wanted the Americans because they thought it would be along hard slog.
Last edited by pugsville on 14 Nov 2017, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 14 Nov 2017, 01:02

The Ibis wrote:
pugsville wrote:
The Ibis wrote:
pugsville wrote:Does anyone actually know what terms the French and British equipment was provided to the AEF on?

I only found out yesterday that US got the production lines for the pattern 14 rifle from Britain at the knock down price of 10million, which considering the British bought for 40 million not long before excitedly cheap. (the Lines were in Winchester and Remington plants). The Pattern 14 was a major part of the US rifle stocks.
Hi Pug,

I have that info somewhere. Give me a few days and then message me if I don’t get back to you.
would really appreciate it I always wondered about it.
The heavy equipment like tanks and artillery was provided in exchange for raw material deliveries (approximately 440,000), for which France and later Britain would have been otherwise charged. You can get some specific information in "United States Army in the World War: 1917-1919, Reports of the Commander-in-Chief, Staff Sections and Services." Its Volume 15 at pages 80-84 and should be available both on the US Army's website and on Archive. Apologies, but I can't seem to put my hands on the records from the Office of the Chief Ordnance Officer. A. E. F, which is where the minutae would reside.
Much thanks.

I got the report from the Combined Arms Library. Clear as mud. The 440,0000 tons not clear paid for weapons.

"Materials were obtained in France, England, Spain, Italy and Switzerland, partly (Especially in France and England), through the governments. and partly through merchants and manufacturers, and generally on the understanding that the United States would replace material received with a like amount of raw material. 440.000 tons of raw material was shipped to France under this agreement between April 1 and November 11, 1918. Some of the more important items bought in France were 514...."

Not sure how to exactly read that Not convinced it directly means 440,000 tons of raw materials paid for the wpeoans as with "Like amount of material"
possibly could be raw materials obtained tin France (food etc) maybe?

partial list weapons supplied.

514 tanks,
3.035 75-mm. guns,
1,190 155-mm. howitzers,
5.011.000 rounds 75-n-m. ammunition,
2,909,200 rounds trench-mortar ammunition,
30.000.000 fuses,
3,000,OOObombs,
9,592 Hotchkiss machine guns
40,000 Chauchat automatic rifles:
122 9.2-in. howitzers,

212 8-in. howitzers,
2,550 3-m Stokes mortars
865 6-in. Newton mortar

440,00 of raw materials for that lot would have been a pretty good deal,

Very interesting to see the supply department saying efficiency was improved when they adopted British methods! I find that an odd little bit.

The Ibis

Post by The Ibis » 14 Nov 2017, 02:42

pugsville wrote:
The Ibis wrote:
pugsville wrote:
The Ibis wrote:
pugsville wrote:Does anyone actually know what terms the French and British equipment was provided to the AEF on?

I only found out yesterday that US got the production lines for the pattern 14 rifle from Britain at the knock down price of 10million, which considering the British bought for 40 million not long before excitedly cheap. (the Lines were in Winchester and Remington plants). The Pattern 14 was a major part of the US rifle stocks.
Hi Pug,

I have that info somewhere. Give me a few days and then message me if I don’t get back to you.
would really appreciate it I always wondered about it.
The heavy equipment like tanks and artillery was provided in exchange for raw material deliveries (approximately 440,000), for which France and later Britain would have been otherwise charged. You can get some specific information in "United States Army in the World War: 1917-1919, Reports of the Commander-in-Chief, Staff Sections and Services." Its Volume 15 at pages 80-84 and should be available both on the US Army's website and on Archive. Apologies, but I can't seem to put my hands on the records from the Office of the Chief Ordnance Officer. A. E. F, which is where the minutae would reside.
Much thanks.

I got the report from the Combined Arms Library. Clear as mud. The 440,0000 tons not clear paid for weapons.

"Materials were obtained in France, England, Spain, Italy and Switzerland, partly (Especially in France and England), through the governments. and partly through merchants and manufacturers, and generally on the understanding that the United States would replace material received with a like amount of raw material. 440.000 tons of raw material was shipped to France under this agreement between April 1 and November 11, 1918. Some of the more important items bought in France were 514...."

Not sure how to exactly read that Not convinced it directly means 440,000 tons of raw materials paid for the wpeoans as with "Like amount of material"
possibly could be raw materials obtained tin France (food etc) maybe?

partial list weapons supplied.

514 tanks,
3.035 75-mm. guns,
1,190 155-mm. howitzers,
5.011.000 rounds 75-n-m. ammunition,
2,909,200 rounds trench-mortar ammunition,
30.000.000 fuses,
3,000,OOObombs,
9,592 Hotchkiss machine guns
40,000 Chauchat automatic rifles:
122 9.2-in. howitzers,

212 8-in. howitzers,
2,550 3-m Stokes mortars
865 6-in. Newton mortar

440,00 of raw materials for that lot would have been a pretty good deal,

Very interesting to see the supply department saying efficiency was improved when they adopted British methods! I find that an odd little bit.
Also check out "America's Munitions 1917-1918: Report of Benedict Crowell, the Assistant Secretary of War, Director of Munitions" at pages 21-37 for some more information. Its still not the detail you're looking for, but perhaps it is a start. Again, the document is Archive at least. There are a few other sources I can't lay hands on (or remember specifically enough - doh). If I find them, I'll let you know.
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 14 Nov 2017, 03:30

The Muntions report says
$450 million was spent on US purchases of equipment form Allied Governments.

Though it's statement that the Cambrai was the debut of the use of tanks is somewhat prosaic.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 14 Nov 2017, 03:55

pugsville wrote:The Muntions report says
$450 million was spent on US purchases of equipment form Allied Governments.

Though it's statement that the Cambrai was the debut of the use of tanks is somewhat prosaic.
That's peanuts compared to what the British and French owed US banks and other agencies by 1918 on loans for all sorts of raw materials and finished goods, including war material. In 1914, the Allies bought $824 million in goods from the US. In 1915 that rose to almost $2 billion. In 1916 it went up to $3.21 billion.

The longer the US was in the war, the less they'd need foreign supplied weapons to arm their forces. It was really only Wilson's stubborn refusal to prepare for a conflict even when it was becoming apparent one was approaching the US, that caused the US military to not be ready to fight. That's a mistake FDR was determined not to repeat in WW 2.

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 14 Nov 2017, 04:10

I'm interested in the prices paid by the US versus prices paid by the French and British. I suspect the US got the much better end of the Bargin.

The pattern 17 enfield production lines were bought by the British for $40million (I would think as the companies wanted something invest in large scale rifle manufacture) the US paid $10 million for these lines that produced the majority of rifles used by the AEF.

Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave » 17 Nov 2017, 22:43

I suppose it might do to reengage.

US involvement is key and essential. And a look at two first person documents is enlightening.

-H. L. Mencken's Diary of a Retreat
http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2017/01/t ... t.html?m=1

W. S. Sims' The Victory At Sea

Mencken was a reporter with the Baltimore Sun, and the Diary is his dispatches from Germany in the winter of 1916/Spring of 1917. While it is possible that the Kaiser's people managed his visit, to make the entire country a Potemkin village was simply beyond Wilhelmine Germany. Sims was the USN theater commander whom I have previously cited. These give you a pretty clear picture of Spring 1917 with Germany on the brink of victory, and the UK within weeks of defeat. The only way the OP's premise works is with the US coming into the war in late 1917/early 1918 after the U-boats had demolished British shipping, which Mencken says the Germans planned to do in six months, and Sims concurs that they were on course to do.

More tonight.

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 18 Nov 2017, 00:49

Plain Old Dave wrote:I suppose it might do to reengage.

These give you a pretty clear picture of Spring 1917 with Germany on the brink of victory, and the UK within weeks of defeat.
Could you actually present an argument, Rather than random pieces of fluff.

Why was German on the Brink of victory in Spring 1917?

Why was the UK within weeks of defeat?

Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave » 18 Nov 2017, 03:29

Still out and about. ADM Sims is clear in his book (which was approved by the Department of the Navy and therefore constitutes an official document) that the Germans were sinking British shipping at a rate British shipyards couldn't make good on.

Mencken had trouble finding a German that wasn't confident of victory, and the only Brit Sims could find who wasn't convinced that the UK was weeks from being forced out was Lloyd George.

The real question then, is were US shipyards capable of building a Merchant Marine in later 1917-18?

pugsville

Post by pugsville » 18 Nov 2017, 04:23

Plain Old Dave wrote:Still out and about. ADM Sims is clear in his book (which was approved by the Department of the Navy and therefore constitutes an official document) that the Germans were sinking British shipping at a rate British shipyards couldn't make good on.

Mencken had trouble finding a German that wasn't confident of victory, and the only Brit Sims could find who wasn't convinced that the UK was weeks from being forced out was Lloyd George.

The real question then, is were US shipyards capable of building a Merchant Marine in later 1917-18?

The British were slow to introduce the convoy system, but once introduced the U-boat threat was basically over, IF they had not they would have been in serious trouble, but they did, and inconceivable that the would not have. Nothing to do with the US intervention.

The German economy kept shrinking throughout ww1 a steady decline, and by 1918 is was in very bad shape. The Germans did not keep build tanks beyond a handful as they simply could not afford the industrial investment. Manpower, Resources, Industrial capacity the Germans were in decline in all those things.

The Ibis

Post by The Ibis » 18 Nov 2017, 15:36

Plain Old Dave wrote:Still out and about. ADM Sims is clear in his book (which was approved by the Department of the Navy and therefore constitutes an official document) that the Germans were sinking British shipping at a rate British shipyards couldn't make good on.
And then the convoy system was introduced and that was the end of that.

So Lloyd George was Joe Namath?
History shows it wasn’t.
pugsville wrote: Manpower, Resources, Industrial capacity the Germans were in decline in all those things.
Yodapug!!!

Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave » 18 Nov 2017, 18:18

"And then the convoy system was introduced and that was the end of that."

You're assuming it would be. Asking a bit much of one of the least militarily inventive nations on Earth, hmm?

Return to “What if”