US entry into WW1 in 1915?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today.
James A Pratt III

Re: US entry into WW1 in 1915?

Postby James A Pratt III » 25 Dec 2017 00:10

The US entering WW I in 1917 managed to capture 104 German ships in US ports and put most of them in service. They included some big liners. Also on 20 and 22 march 1918 the US and British seized 135 Dutch ships by right of Angary. Which gives a belligerent power the right to seize neutral vessels. Both of these action would have occurred earlier in the war if the US had entered the war in 1915. Lets just say the Dutch were "upset' about the seizure of their ships.

South
Financial supporter

Postby South » 26 Dec 2017 08:33

Good morning James,

Great info re Angary and its application. I knew the concept but not this designated word.

I have a couple of sterling silver dining table "place settings", eg a "creamer" and a small serving tray from the US Maritime Administration's vessel "Leviathan". The federal agency's shield is "embossed" (high relief) on them. The Leviathan was formerly the German vessel "Fatherland". Believe it was a large liner.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

James A Pratt III

Postby James A Pratt III » 13 Jan 2018 05:05

The Leviathan was a very large liner.

on youtube the US WW I Museum and Memorial has a presintation "Giant with feet of Clay" The US Army in WW I that is rather interesting

If the US did get into WW I in 1915. In the fall of 1916 it would probably be launching an offensive against the St Michael salient like the US did in September 1918. This is where the US Army planned on attacking almost after the first US troops landed in France in 1917. That is if the US doesn't get talked out of it.

South
Financial supporter

Postby South » 13 Jan 2018 08:41

Good morning James,

Appreciate info re Leviathan.

In 1916,General Pershing was chasing Poncho Villa near you and into Mexico. In reality, they were training in brigade-size maneuvers and it had zero to do with Arizona border incursions by Villa. Who could talk the US out of the European engagement ?! The die was cast when the economic indicators, inter alia, showed Germany eclipsing the UK is key areas - like steel production.........and the implications.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia

Return to “What if”