When would be the best time to kill Hitler

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

When would be the best time to kill Hitler

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 31 Jan 2018, 19:27

Assuming you had a time machine, when would be the best time to kill Hitler, to save as many lives as possible? Too early, and someone else could easily take his place. Too late, and there's no point.

(And no, I don't have a time machine. Really, I don't. Nothing to see here.)

Gorque

Re: When would be the best time to kill Hitler

Post by Gorque » 31 Jan 2018, 20:57

I given this great thought and what I would do is not kill Der Führer but instead I would travel back in time and kidnap him, say when he was twelve or so and then transport him to another place and era, such as 1848 Germany. I choose this time due to his strong nationalist tendencies, the massive discontent then roiling Europe and his yearning for the less complicated times of yore. Who knows, maybe he could've accomplished something that would have foiled the eventual consolidation under the Prussians.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 01 Feb 2018, 05:52

I'd have some Jewish art dealer buy his paintings. Build a working & social relationship.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 01 Feb 2018, 07:40

Well, I don't think it'd be this:

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 01 Feb 2018, 10:49

Obviously just before he reaches for that last slice of key lime pie
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Markus Becker

Post by Markus Becker » 05 Feb 2018, 13:46

November 9th, 1923. The Bavarian police killed 16 Nazis during the Beer Hall Putsch, including the person standing right next to Hitler. It could have easily been him.

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 13 Feb 2018, 21:21

In the trenches during WW1.
It would hardly be an unusual way to die, and he was wounded and gassed, a couple times for each.

In fact, one is tempted to wonder how he made it out of there at all...

Markus Becker

Post by Markus Becker » 13 Feb 2018, 22:58

All of his time traveling wanna be killers were killed in the trenches? They were an unsafe place, weren't they? ;)

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 15 Feb 2018, 00:38

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Assuming you had a time machine, when would be the best time to kill Hitler, to save as many lives as possible? Too early, and someone else could easily take his place. Too late, and there's no point.

(And no, I don't have a time machine. Really, I don't. Nothing to see here.)
General von Witzleben´s plan to arrest him, or kill him (Witzleben at that time preferred an arrest, the men actually chosen to take Hitler would have killed him) at the time of the Munich Treaty would have been the best time. The surprise moove at Munich (weak Chamberlain, Mussolini´s moderation, Hiter´s big success within a matter of a few days) made it impossible as no one in Germany would have supported a coup against a "peacefully" successful Hitler. It was a matter of days, sadly...

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 15 Feb 2018, 17:35

Some good input above!

How would you consider 3 July, i.e., right after the Night of the Long Knives? This would have created a serious power vacuum, combined with a politically tense situation.

Markus Becker

Post by Markus Becker » 15 Feb 2018, 18:34

IMO too late. The Nazis might not remain in power and WW2 looks not likely to occur but I'd rather have him dead before he 'killed' the first free and democratic German state. In 1923 he was just one of the local radicals in Munich, not a national political figure.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 14 May 2018, 00:38

Markus Becker wrote:November 9th, 1923. The Bavarian police killed 16 Nazis during the Beer Hall Putsch, including the person standing right next to Hitler. It could have easily been him.
Yeah, either this or sometime during World War I. It would be better for Germany in comparison to a later assassination of Hitler considering that Germany's Jewish population probably wouldn't emigrate en masse if Hitler never came to power in Germany and instituted various anti-Semitic measures.

Skarpskytten

Post by Skarpskytten » 16 May 2018, 19:32

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:... Too early, and someone else could easily take his place ...
Stephen Fry (yes, the comedian) explores this idea in his hilarious (and dark) alternative history novel ]Making history.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 18 May 2018, 00:13

Good times right before he came to power in 1933, Munich 1938 before Chamberlin's appeasement, or in late 1939 the Munich bomb that went off about 20-30 minutes too late. Goring would have succeeded him. Many people think of goring as a Bloated, bemedaled, brutal, buffoon. he was in real life a very intelligent man who is not going to take the risks Hitler did as in the 1938 Czech affair let alone start WW II. Note in 1938-39 the German military leadership had real doubts about the combat readiness of their army. So under Goring Germany there might not have been a world war.

Return to “What if”