WW1 ends early 1915

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
maltesefalcon

WW1 ends early 1915

Post by maltesefalcon » 11 Mar 2018, 21:47

Been a while since I've posted one of my own. I did a quick search for similar posts and came up empty. Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate.

Suppose Germany, A-H, France, Italy and the UK come to their senses in early 1915? They all realize that winning the war outright will require enormous sacrifice for little or no gain.

In January France and Britain plan to open hostilities against the Ottomans. Britain sees an opportunity prior to the Gallipoli campaign going pear shaped. They discuss rolling back hostilities against Christian nations in favour of a combined crusade against the Muslim Ottomans.

The idea is readily accepted by A-H who stand to gain from a weakened neighbour. This means detente vs Russia, who happily agree, as the war is not going as well as hoped for them.

This precipitates talks between Russia and Germany, who agree to a ceasefire subject to an agreement on territorial borders. Now threatened to be isolated by their allies, the Russians agree.

Britain agrees to a ceasefire provided the Germans remove themselves from Belgium. Again this is agreed.

Finally France agrees but they lose Sedan area forts for 10 years. They have no choice as they would now be on their own.

Obviously the US does not take part.

The offensive into Turkey begins in April. By September the combined naval and air assaults force the Ottomans to sue for peace. France, Britain and A-H dismember the Empire, leaving a rump section on the Turkish peninsula. Germany is given a large cash indemnity from the Ottoman treasury in lieu of land. The proviso is participation in naval arms limitation talks.
The end result? No Bolshevik revolution, at least for a while. No decimation of Europe's population or finances. No huge arms industry increase in USA. Perhaps no WW2. A weakening of Islamic spread to the west, if not their self determination.

Any thoughts?

James A Pratt III

Re: WW1 ends early 1915

Post by James A Pratt III » 13 Mar 2018, 20:24

There is an article in the book "The Collected What IF?" What ifs of 1914> On 18 November 1914 general Erich Von Falkenhayn told the German Chancellor Bethmann-Hollweg the war can no longer be won and recommend sending peace overtures to the Russians. The Chancellor turned down his request. Note Crown Prince Wilhelm in 1914 also realized Germany could not win the war either. The problem is can the Germans and Austrians get peace terms that are acceptable to the people back home form the Allies at this time.

maltesefalcon

Re: WW1 ends early 1915

Post by maltesefalcon » 14 Mar 2018, 01:25

Thanks for replying. In order for my premise to have any feasibilty I assumed that at least a few world leaders have an epiphany of the slaughter that was yet to come. Once the actual huge battles took place, I think every nation felt they needed to see it to the end to justify the sacrifice. i.e. After Gallipoli, Verdun and the Somme peace is no longer feasible until one side simply gives up.
In a reverse domino effect that precipitated the war in the first place I've envisioned a few peace overtures in 1915 leading to more etc etc. Instead focus is placed on a new crusade targeting Turkey and its Ottoman/Muslim history. Xenophobia takes over from mere Imperialism in this situation.

Suppose the plans for Armenian genocide got leaked in December 1914, for instance.

Return to “What if”