February, 1945 - What tank do you choose?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Logan Hartke

February, 1945 - What tank do you choose?

Post by Logan Hartke » 10 Apr 2002, 18:57

It's February 1945, you have the choice to pick any tank from any side to fight with; what do you choose? Again, this can be any tank/tank destroyer, prototype or production.

Logan Hartke

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 10 Apr 2002, 22:54

Tiger and King Tiger are pretty strong options...

Lots of metal between me and enemy and more than enough firepower to keep them further away.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 00:07

Both nice choices, but not my pick. Again, this can be a prototype, but it doesn't have to be.

Logan Hartke

LeoAU

Post by LeoAU » 11 Apr 2002, 01:35

Tiwaz wrote:Tiger and King Tiger are pretty strong options...

Lots of metal between me and enemy and more than enough firepower to keep them further away.
with King tiger - it will break down pretty soon and the war is over for you, you go home. Yes, definately King Tiger!

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 06:28

LeoAU wrote:

with King tiger - it will break down pretty soon and the war is over for you, you go home. Yes, definately King Tiger!
That's the reason I didn't pick that one. No, my favorite could go head-to-head with the King Tiger, win, then drive off the battlefield without breaking down.

Logan Hartke

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 11 Apr 2002, 08:22

LeoAU wrote:

True, true. But no matter what I would pick I would pretty much be screwed. German tanks would end up attacked from above and if you meet German tank in Allied tank you are pretty much dead.

Best tank naturally would be one that won't take me anywhere near danger but it would be a small miracle to find one...

And if we don't talk about battle situation my vote would still go to Tiger or King Tiger. Maus could be one just like Panther but they don't have that certain feeling around them...

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 15:50

Tiwaz wrote:German tanks would end up attacked from above and if you meet German tank in Allied tank you are pretty much dead.
Not necessarily. I think I found the King Tiger's equal in armor and gun, but m pick has better mobility.

Logan Hartke

GoLiAtH

Post by GoLiAtH » 11 Apr 2002, 16:15

Panther II

88mm KwK and up to 150mm armor

Well, King Tiger would be fine too ;)
"One day a Tiger Royal tank got within 150 yards of my tank and knocked me out. Five of our tanks opened up on him from ranges of 200 to 600 yards and got five or six hits on the front of the Tiger. They all just glanced off and the Tiger backed off and got away. If we had a tank like Tiger, we would all be home today." - Report by tank commander Sergeant Clyde D. Brunson from 2nd Armored Division, 1945.

Source : http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz5.htm
Optimist ist einer, der ein Dutzend Austern bestellt, in der Hoffnung, sie mit der Perle, die er darin findet, bezahlen zu können

Fontane

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 16:25

The 88mm turret was never built for the Panther II and the only Panther II had a normal Panther G turret. Also, the only Panther II had 100mm front and 60mm sides. Nowhere was its armor 150mm. I don't thik it was delivered by February, anyway, so in any case, the Panther II isn't as good as you thought it was, and it wasn't even available. Sorry, still not my pick.

Logan Hartke

GoLiAtH

Post by GoLiAtH » 11 Apr 2002, 16:37

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panth2.htm

You're right about the G series turret but in fact was planned to equip the tank with the KwK 88mm.
btw I'm not responsible for the rightness of that source.

So regarding this I would pick the King Tiger
Optimist ist einer, der ein Dutzend Austern bestellt, in der Hoffnung, sie mit der Perle, die er darin findet, bezahlen zu können

Fontane

GoLiAtH

Post by GoLiAtH » 11 Apr 2002, 16:56

I guess your pick is the M26 Pershing, isnt it?

Its neither equal to the armor, nor to the armor penetration :

Armor King Tiger (max) : 180mm/9° (turret) and 150mm/50°(front superstructure)

Armor M26 Pershing (max) : 114mm/0° (turret) and 102mm/46° (upper front)

Armor Penetration King Tiger with Panzergranate 40/43 @ 2000 m and from 30° vertical : 153 mm

Armor Penetration M26 Pershing with 90mm (Jackson tank destroyer) Armor Piercing Ammunition @ 2000 m and 30° vertical : 92 mm

sources :
http://home.kscable.com/mindex/USarm.html

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz5.htm

Fontane

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 18:20

GoLiAtH wrote:I guess your pick is the M26 Pershing, isnt it?

Its neither equal to the armor, nor to the armor penetration :

Armor King Tiger (max) : 180mm/9° (turret) and 150mm/50°(front superstructure)

Armor M26 Pershing (max) : 114mm/0° (turret) and 102mm/46° (upper front)

Armor Penetration King Tiger with Panzergranate 40/43 @ 2000 m and from 30° vertical : 153 mm

Armor Penetration M26 Pershing with 90mm (Jackson tank destroyer) Armor Piercing Ammunition @ 2000 m and 30° vertical : 92 mm

sources :
http://home.kscable.com/mindex/USarm.html

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz5.htm
No, my pick is far less well known. In fact, I have yet to find a pick of it on the internet. I have found mention of it but one time and that was in one sentence in passing. So, no, still not my pick.

Logan Hartke

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 11 Apr 2002, 18:24

How about telling us what nationality it is...

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Apr 2002, 18:28

Well, that might give it away, but since the reference to it that I found in the more common of the two books thta I have that tell about it is wrong, sure. It's American. It's not well known. Depending on the book you have, when I tell what it is, you will probably tell me that it was not complete at the time, but aha, I have the better of two books showing it in front of a building in January, 1945, complete as ever. It gives the exact date of te picture and the building it is in front of, so I trust it more. Anyway, I'll give you the answer tonight, my time. Until then, you have to keep guessing.

Logan Hartke

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 11 Apr 2002, 19:29

LeoAU wrote:
Tiwaz wrote:
Tiger and King Tiger are pretty strong options...

True, true.
Not it's not true - the Tiger II rarely broke down, much less than the Panther - actually only a little more than the Pz.Kpfw. IV! Also, add to this, that the Pz.Kpfw. IV had had a lot of improving done to it over the years, and the crew knew what they were dealing with.

The Tiger II was a very stabile vehicle, with top performance in just about every field: Good speed, low ground pressure, good maneuvering, etc. Only thing is that it's a bit large, but that's it.

Certainly my choice!

FP

Return to “What if”