Hitler commited suicide after failed putsch as he threatened

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Nagelfar

Hitler commited suicide after failed putsch as he threatened

Post by Nagelfar » 30 Dec 2002, 07:11

what would happen to the Nazi party & the building unrest in germany if Hitler had commited suicide after the putsch fell apart like he threatened he would? would the Nazi party still come to power through popular opinion? or come to power even sooner from a sympathy vote on losing such a charismatic figure under such "noble" circumstance in want of helping the german nation? I am assuming he did it in prison, after the cutting trial speeches which moved many people.

Mike K.

Post by Mike K. » 30 Dec 2002, 07:30

Without Hitler's sheer will of personality I doubt the NSDAP would amount to much.

wenty

i think...

Post by wenty » 30 Dec 2002, 11:50

Hi all,
if that had happened i think, as the plan was at the time, woul be that Goering would come to power and, as goering wanted, would have at least attempted to negotiate peace with the allies-but of course in the end Goering was ordered to be arrested (never carried out) And Admiral Doenitz came to power (for 1 week anyway!!)- but, as long as he could last i doubt Hitler would have killed himself until the very last.
cheers!! Wenty.

davethelight

Post by davethelight » 30 Dec 2002, 12:19

Nagelfar. I think a few people read your "what if" wrong. They seem to think that you are reffering to the July44 plot on Hitler's life.

HEY EVERYONE.

I THINK NAGELFAR IS ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THE NAZIS 1923 FAILED PUTSCH ATTEMPT IN WHICH HITLER GOT ARRESTED AND SENT TO PRISON.

Anyway, I think that if that had happened, Himmler would have stuck to chicken farming and WWII might never have happened. Or it might have, but this time with the Allies against the soviet Union, and Germany possibly even one of the "good guys".

Return to “What if”