What if there had been a Reichs President from 1933-45..?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Nagelfar

What if there had been a Reichs President from 1933-45..?

Post by Nagelfar » 07 Jan 2003 07:33

this question pertains to the speculative; 'what if there was a reichs president?', and the conspiracy; I.E. 'what if there WAS a reichs president??'. as in someone working behind the scenes that Hitler knew wouldnt have been a socially acceptable enough person to be known, but held the rank of President and actually directed Hitler what to do... why would Hitler not consider the highest rank of the nation during the third reich, yet without missing a beat, assign a president back into the hierarchy of germany as if it was never missing?(as his last orders). it just hits me as strange. like there was a more esoteric reason..

davethelight

Post by davethelight » 07 Jan 2003 12:39

Hmmm, maybee Hitler was actually just a smoke screen for the real big guy, but I doupt it.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 08 Jan 2003 04:19

hmm, there were plenty of individuals who were unconventional for the times, whom Hitler looked up to, even basing alot of his ideas around at that time. who would be our most likely candidate? Dietrich Eckhart died early on, and Lanz von Liebenfels didnt live too long into the reich if I'm not mistaken.

also, it seems quite likely Hitler could have easily, early on in the war or even before the war, declared himself president. this would have had a national morale boost certainly, in the same way (but not to the same degree) as Napoleon crowning himself Emperor of france. why this minor, nationally conducive action, didnt seem fitting to Hitler's plan is questionable. he certainly saw use in the position as he gave it to Dönitz (he made Goebbels his successor as 'Reichskanzler') after he could no longer hold in his capicity to rule (which brings up another question; was this the first time in german history that a Kanzler/Chancellor appointed a higher government position into office? or first time for any industrialized nation for that matter? I certainly wouldnt think that to be within the boundries of his jurisdiction, was there ever a law passed on such matters; in either regard of him being able to make such orders on behalf of another or when the position of president is not filled?)

jesse23464
Banned

Reply.

Post by jesse23464 » 10 Jan 2003 02:33

From what I understand on August 2, 1934 President Hindenburg died. The next day Hitler issued a decree merging the offices of chanceller with the powers of the president. There was then a plebiscite on August 19th confirming his decision. So the office of the president though techinically empty was basically being used by Hitler.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 11 Jan 2003 09:45

it doesnt mean that such a decision wasnt simply made to deride national interest in the lacking post.

alternately, what would have happened if Hitler had appointed a president above him? would we see a more just and level-headed third reich without Hitler as the very highest government office? who would it have been? who were the possible choices?

Marcel1975

Post by Marcel1975 » 27 Jan 2003 22:36

Hitler would be president himself and have a puppet (Göring?) as prime minister/chancellor... he envisaged a presidency much like the US, only without the election part :wink:

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 28 Jan 2003 00:43

the diplomacy involved with appointing someone above him would be interesting to see through, though. I certainly do not think it was beyond him to see the value in having another whom he greatly respected in a position to oversee the reich, an older, more admired and affable figure. Eckhart would be a man like this, but he had no governmental social standing.

Return to “What if”