Pershing tank faced off with a JSII tank

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Sieger

Pershing tank faced off with a JSII tank

Post by Sieger » 18 Jan 2003 03:41

who would win?

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 18 Jan 2003 07:52

I think IS2. I dont howevet have anykind of information about such a meeting, did IS2 and Pershing meet at Korea?

What do i know about ww2 AFW, i would say that IS2 would win.

Second try

Re: Pershing tank faced off with a JSII tank

Post by Second try » 18 Jan 2003 16:20

Sieger wrote:who would win?
Good question ,many depends on the ammunition used by the two tank. The IS II modified one piece front hull looks unvulnarable and the 122mm gun is probably able to penetrate the Pershing's front hull,front turret defense is about the same, but the Pershing had much higher rate of fire,better gun optics and faster rotating turret and much more AP ammunition on board. IS II could be knocked out by a Pershing with a front/side/rear turret and side/rear hull shots.

Respectfully...Col.Valentine :)

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 18 Jan 2003 19:33

Yeah but the question was which one would win. When there is one to one AFV fighting, that doesnt matter that do u have 24 or 48 grenades. IS2 got better fighting abilities, such as 122mm gun, better armor, they got about same speed.

Second try

Post by Second try » 18 Jan 2003 21:54

KalaVelka wrote:Yeah but the question was which one would win. When there is one to one AFV fighting, that doesnt matter that do u have 24 or 48 grenades. IS2 got better fighting abilities, such as 122mm gun, better armor, they got about same speed.
Well,that is a point :) of course, but be mentioned that both Panther and Tiger I/King Tiger could knock out IS II only by turret or flank/rear shots. The one piece cast or welded front upper hull was simply to thick.

IS II had cast turret front armor 100mm, curved gun mantle varied 110-120mm. Pershing had 102mm cast round front turret and 114 mm curved gun mantle. They could kill each other over a kilometer from the front.

The difference is that IS II could penetrate Pershing's front hull at a certain range. IS II could steer one of its track completely to turn on its enemy and show its strong front armor

120mm sloped by 60 degree equals effective vertical armor thickness about 270mm RHA armor versus 88mm full caliber projectile. Too much for the 88mm L/71 gun either way (capable 225-232mm at Point Blank).

The armor piercing capacity of the D25T using AP or blunt nosed APBC and M3 using APCBC gun was about the same against vertical armor but 122 mm projectiles had to defeat less effective armor thickness (from T/D ratio).

You see one to one tank clash,yep IS II is in danger at 2000 meters either way because the Pershing could attack him with accurate long range T33 APBC shots they were far capable to pen the IS II front turret at that range. That is a scenario,too :)not to mention tungsten-cored HVAP ammunition M304.See it first,aim it first, fire it accurately first when failing how fast could I repeat?

The rate of fire of D25T gun was very low, 1,5 shots per min because of using shared ammunition. One Pershing fires at least four times faster.

The fast turret is a serious advantage (24 degree/sec) for the Pershing-how fast you can react for the approaching of the enemy and the ammunition quantity too. IS IIs could have been earlier outgunned and messacred by Pershings they still had AP ammunition to fight.

In general,tanks fought each other very rarely under clinic head to hand circumstances. You could win much more easily when you outflank your enemy and give it devastating fire from sides and rear. :wink: many,many depends on tactical situation and flexibility.

But the very same question could be taken like this... who will win? Gigantosaursus or Tyrannosaurus Rex? Anybody guess :) Everything is imageable :lol:

Respectfully...Col.Valentine :)

Return to “What if”