Stalin took the purge a step further?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Sieger

Stalin took the purge a step further?

Post by Sieger » 19 Jan 2003, 08:04

He had Timoshenko, Konev and Zhukov purged and executed?

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Stalin took the purge a step further.

Post by Robert Rojas » 19 Jan 2003, 09:53

Greetings to both citizen Sieger and the community as a whole. I, for one, am of the opinion that the Red Army had a wealth of untapped tactical and strategic military leadership which Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili could never hope to fully suppress. Undoubtedly, the effects of an expanded late 1930's era purge would be sorely felt in the first two years of the Great Patriotic War of the Soviet Union, but the character of the final outcome of this clash of titans would not be altered appreciably. I rather suspect such personalities as Bagramian, Malinovsky, Moskalenko and Rokossovsky would have risen to prominence much more rapidly. I also suspect the war on the Eastern Front would have gone on a little longer than it did with the Western Allies and Red Army probably meeting on the Vistula River in Poland in the late Summer of 1945. However, I am confident that the forum's Russophilic constituency will be interjecting their points-of-view on this hot button topic. Well, that's my two kopecks on the subject. I bid you a very good day in whatever reality where you might find yourself.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :)

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Jan 2003, 15:27

Trying to answer a question like this without letting hindsight influence your judgement is difficult.

Could three men change the war on the Eastern Front so much, it's hard to say with any great clarity, because though they were great individuals, they were supported by their sub-ordinates, and who is to say that one of them may not have come to the fore and been as good or even better than their commanders.

:D Andy from the Shire

wotan

Post by wotan » 19 Jan 2003, 16:30

Wouldnt have changed much.. Russia won the war because they were able to produce 2000 heavy/medium tanks a month.. of good quality :)

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Jan 2003, 22:21

Wotan I agree but power without the forsight on how best to use and exploit your power, is akin to giant lashing out without any idea how to deliver the killer punch.

:D Andy from the Shire

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 19 Jan 2003, 22:32

Stalin tried to execute Zhukov, but many Soviet generals approved Zukov. They knew they would be the next ones.

Sieger

Post by Sieger » 20 Jan 2003, 03:54

Stalin was crazy, it's because of this purge that we see cases of officers who were liutenants one day end up a coronels or generals 8O

But lets say he overrode those generals and actually went after Zhukov.

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Stalin took the purges a step further.

Post by Robert Rojas » 20 Jan 2003, 10:21

Greetings to both citizen Sieger and the community as a whole. Your entry of Monday - January 20, 2003 - 2:54am has peaked my curiousity. When the time avails itself, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide the informational references you accessed that give specific examples of junior officers ascending into field grade and general officer positions during the great Soviet purges of the late 1930's. I have seen this assertion made in the past, but I have yet to come across any historical literature which addresses this "promotional" phenomenon. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. In anycase, I bid you a wonderful day in whatever reality where you might find yourself.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :)

Return to “What if”