Germany, a true SuperPower in 1939/40?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
davethelight

Germany, a true SuperPower in 1939/40?

Post by davethelight » 01 Feb 2003, 04:04

Germany was obviously was one of the top three or four military powers in the world in the late 1930s/early 1940s.
But was it also an ecenomic superpower at the same time?

I've read that Germany's ecenomy was pretty flimsy in that they went heavily into debt to finance their military expansion and depended totaly on the prospect of exploiting the resources of conquered countrys to repay this debt.

So if Germany had waited until 1944 to start war as most of her strategists had hoped, would her economy have collapsed before they had made it to that year? (I guess this is kind of a "what if" scenario too).

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 01 Feb 2003, 04:11

davethelight wrote:(I guess this is kind of a "what if" scenario too)
More of an economical analyst of a specfic time in objective history, using a 'what if' to get your point across, but I see what you're saying.

good question; I don't have an answer :P

Johannes

Post by Johannes » 05 Feb 2003, 14:33

Hi,

I have heard of a different story. I heard Germany then was already a economic superpower. Brands like the Mercedes Benz was already making the Germany economy a pride. And of course it was. German people were strongly encouraged to buy German goods, and so it should have help their economy. When other countries are still trying to get out of the Great Depression, Germany was already away with it.

-Johannes

Return to “What if”