Germany knew that ENIGMA was captured?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Germany knew that ENIGMA was captured?

Post by Dennis Redler » 03 Feb 2003 12:48

If the Germans knew that the British were reading all their secret codes, what would have happened?
How can the Allies take credit for battles when they knew what the Germans were going to do beforehand?
This is like knowing what your opponents poker hand is.
I guess all things are fair in love and war. :lol:
Dennis Redler :)

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 03 Feb 2003 13:46

Most likely Germans would have tried to take advantage from situation and arrange big trap for allieds by sending them false information.

Pretty soon allieds would have noticed that their secret had been revealed when things didn't go as they were supposed to, at least not as often as one would think.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Feb 2003 16:58

Like Tiwas say, they would use it in their own way. given false info so English forces was deployed on wrong places and at the end they would not trust that information. and they would come up with a code they use in the enigma. instead of " Need help on position 13.24w and 67.34n" it could been coded before it went in the Enigma

peter_suciu

Post by peter_suciu » 03 Feb 2003 18:04

I think the Germans could have set up any kind of big trap. Using codes doesn't exactly work like that...deception only works if you think the enemy will fall for it.

I don't see an early war point where the Germans could have deceived the Allies to "set a trap." More likely they'd pass miscommunication and send information that would make it seem like they had more U-Boats, more troops, more aircraft. If you start talking about the transfer of 15,000 men to North Africa then the British would have to wonder where those men came from, etc.

Furthermore at some point the miscommunication seems like exactly that, and I would guess the Germans would add a cylinder or two to the Enigma machine and just try to make the code harder to crack.

The movie Enigma shows just how hard it was to crack when the Germans added another cylinder. The Germans thought the machine was uncrackable...the only reason the Allies were able to do so is because they an Enimga machine. If the Germans decided it didn't work and added three wheel cylinders...well I don't think it would be crackable.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Feb 2003 23:37

What i was thinking of was that if german use codes and then send those codes with ENIGMA then you had double coded it. the allied side could then never be sure if the message they got out of their ENIGMA was a correct one. and as you say. the germans had to be careful about how and what they let out for english ears.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 05 Feb 2003 00:56

How can the Allies take credit for battles when they knew what the Germans were going to do beforehand?
This is like knowing what your opponents poker hand is
What a bizzare statement, Intelligence and luck along with logistics and training are the 4 pillars on which victories are built. The fact that German military intelligence was crap in WW2 was due to allied counter intelligence and guile.

Andy

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Germany knew that ENIGMA was captured

Post by Dennis Redler » 05 Feb 2003 02:07

:? Gee, calm down moderator. No need to get abusive. I got feelings you know. Perhaps you have other issues with me.
Besides, this is some "fantasy" topic to my understanding. I just wanted some speculative imput. Anyway, I also said everything was fair in love and war. And I am allowed to have an opinion.
Thanks Tiwaz,Lillebror,Peter_Suciu for playing the game with thoughtful and insightful observations.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 05 Feb 2003 02:44

Hi Denis

I have no "issues" with either you or anyone, also I wasn't getting abusive or posted anything remotely abusive, and yes you are allowed an opinion which you have voiced and I would be the last to deny you that right.

If your original post was made with irony then I've misread it and for that oversight I apologise.

Andy

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Germany knew ENIGMA was captured

Post by Dennis Redler » 05 Feb 2003 03:34

Thank you Andy,
I apologize too for taking it all too personal. You are a good man and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
By the way, I liked what you said about the 4 pillars on which victory is built. I've never heard it put that way and I thought it was genius.
Keep up the good work , my friend, I love this Forum.
Sincerely

Return to “What if”