Alternative story for the battleship Yamato???

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
LWD

Re: Alternative story for the battleship Yamato???

Post by LWD » 05 Jan 2010, 14:55

bf109 emil wrote:
Yamato posessed nothing that all modern US Battleships didn't already have. Lastly, following the war, all US battleships except the Iowa's went into mothballs,
which modern battleships? the IOWA's that where completed to late to play a part in the war other then shelling of static targets?
All of the Iowa's that were completed did a bit more than that from what recall.
and likewise claiming the Iowa's where not mothballed is an error as the Iowa, New Jersey and Wisconsin where all decommissioned and mothballed after WW2!
But not immediatly post war. The first mothballing didn't occur until the 50's from what I remember.
Yamato was a fuel guzzling pig and a more uneconomical steaming ship you'd likely never see.
can you please source where this info came from...more uneconomical then the South Dakota class battleship propulsion using the exact same steam turbine technology?
It's not just the technology that deterimes the fuel consumption. I'm not sure how much worse they were than the SoDak's but given their weight assuredly they were worse. For the impact of this I susgest you look at:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/guadoil1.htm
She also wasn't fast enough to keep up with US Carrier task forces.
no, and neither was any US Battleship until the completion of the Iowa class, and seldom traveled as part of a carrier task force, but her speed of 27 knots matched US Battleships at the time which had a similar top speed
The US fast BBs traveled as part of carrier task forces on a regular basis.

bf109 emil

Post by bf109 emil » 05 Jan 2010, 15:12

and likewise claiming the Iowa's where not mothballed is an error as the Iowa, New Jersey and Wisconsin where all decommissioned and mothballed after WW2!

But not immediatly post war. The first mothballing didn't occur until the 50's from what I remember.
I believe they where mothballed as they IIRC came out of being Mothballed to take part in the Korean war, something they would not have had to have done had they still been commissioned
Last edited by bf109 emil on 05 Jan 2010, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Takao

Post by Takao » 05 Jan 2010, 15:19

Regarding the decommissioning of the "fast" US battleships:
All of the North Carolina and South Dakota classes went out in 1947, followed by the USS New Jersey and USS Wisconsin in mid-1948, and the USS Iowa in early 1949(all three Iowas would be recommissioned for Korea). The USS Missouri would not get her first decommissioning until 1955.

Return to “What if”