Germany pushed the idea of jetfighters

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Willem

Germany pushed the idea of jetfighters

Post by Willem » 14 Feb 2003 20:18

instead of cancelling the whole idea for a couple of years.
Just consider that Germany had also jetbombers.

1)Shooting down the RAF-pilots like flies during the Battle of Britain.

2)Bombing from a very large distance at a formidable height without the risk of being blown out of the sky.

3)Giving this information to Axis allies;just think what the Japanese airforce could do.(the damage would be even more than Pearl Harbour)

4)The possibility that even the Italian airforce could bomb the Allies out of Egypt.

war_dog2

Me262

Post by war_dog2 » 14 Feb 2003 22:18

It would have been interesting to see what it could have achived with an earlier introduction, however when it did make its debut later in the war it was developed at Hitlers request primarily as a fighter-bomber, and was proved more affective as primarily a fighter.... Hence many appeals to change it to a fighter.

peter_suciu

Post by peter_suciu » 15 Feb 2003 01:22

1)Shooting down the RAF-pilots like flies during the Battle of Britain.
IF the fighters were available that early than Germany is going to easily win the Battle of Britain and has air superiority for a 1941 invasion even if the British can take to the skies. Half the number of jets would easily drive the British fighters from the sky and armed as fighter-bombers would keep the British navy away.
2)Bombing from a very large distance at a formidable height without the risk of being blown out of the sky.
There was never much risk of the anti-aircraft doing too much early in the war. Most German planes were shot down by other aircraft, but flying higher would be harder for the British planes. The only trouble is that the range is an issue and the fighters would have to come up with ways to stay over England longer than a few minutes.
3)Giving this information to Axis allies;just think what the Japanese airforce could do.(the damage would be even more than Pearl Harbour)
No way to get the fighters to Japan however. At the end of the war the Germans did try to send the Japanese a Me262 in a U-Boat but I don't know if the Japanese even had fuel for it?
4)The possibility that even the Italian airforce could bomb the Allies out of Egypt.
No way. The Germans might be able to move some of their traditional fighters to this secondary front but they would never send the jets there. Especially in the era jets didn't work too well in the desert, and trusting the Italians with these planes would be like throwing them away.

Cantankerous

Re: Me262

Post by Cantankerous » 02 Oct 2023 01:29

war_dog2 wrote:
14 Feb 2003 22:18
It would have been interesting to see what it could have achived with an earlier introduction, however when it did make its debut later in the war it was developed at Hitlers request primarily as a fighter-bomber, and was proved more affective as primarily a fighter.... Hence many appeals to change it to a fighter.
The Messerschmitt Me 262 was designed from the outset as a jet fighter. The initial unavailability of the BMW 003 turbojet meant that the first Me 262 prototype was flown with a piston engine in April 1941 and did not receive its jet engines until September of that year. The chief competitor to the Me 262 was the Heinkel He 280, which had two Heinkel HeS 8 turbojets (RLM designation 109-001).

T. A. Gardner

Re: Germany pushed the idea of jetfighters

Post by T. A. Gardner » 02 Oct 2023 04:41

Wow! Talk about zombie threat resurrection! Twenty years! Is that a record?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: Germany pushed the idea of jetfighters

Post by Terry Duncan » 02 Oct 2023 08:24

Thread Necromancy from 2003 brought to people by Cantankerous. Please start acting your age before you find yourself taking an extended holiday.

Terry

Return to “What if”