Turkish Railway Capacity supply to caucasus

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
JAG13

Re: Turksih Railway Capacity supply to caucasus

Post by JAG13 » 07 Aug 2014, 00:00

phylo_roadking wrote:
But earlier posts display a rail network throughout the country. This network could have been expanded in 4 months. I am not saying it would be similar to today's rail network, but it could have been greatly improved. War creates and requires a greater driving force. There is more incentive, greater need for completion, greater ambition to succeed.
War - and railway construction - ALSO requires money, equipment and labour and time...

The map in question illustrates a "funny"....in that historical material on the Turkish railways is remarkably thin on the ground. What IS known is that investment by TCDD stopped DEAD in the water in 1950 with the network sitting very much as it is today. From then on until the 1990s there as no investment...and no further rail-laying or maintenance...

What the map ALSO doesn't illustrate...and I haven't been able to find any source since...is what parts of the network were completed when before 1950- in other words - which bits had NOT been built before the spring of 1941...
Lol, I not only posted a 1941 railroad map of Turkey, I also explained in post N°3 where to look for the opening date for each branch, but when one is busy trying to find holes instead of information...
Which of course ilustrates another not un-minor issue - the potential for a combined or coordinated ALLIED counteroffensive in the general area...not to mention the prospect of a British/Commonwealth "raid" damaging or blocking physically any of the "southern" routes on the network.
Obvious defenses for obvious targets, and they would have their hands full with the German invaders...

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 07 Aug 2014, 00:07

[quote="alltoes"][quote="BDV"][quote="alltoes"]

This is a "What if" gentlemen....isn't it??? The topic was railroads in Turkey. "If" Germany from whatever means obtained transit rights AND the UK bombed the rail lines, you believe the Turks would sit back and say "jolly good show"??? IMHO it would have created discourse between Turkey and the UK.....this is a given. There are many directions Turkey could go.

The Turks would have to join the axis from day one, if they give the Germans anything and DONT secure an alliance they would have uncle Joe come knocking next day asking for his share... a full alliance is the only way to get protection form the Russians.

Really, the Brits are the LEAST concern to the Turks considering the circumstances. What are they going to do, send some ships and bombers to harass them? Germans and Russians are already at the door and the Turks are on the way...

LWD

Post by LWD » 11 Aug 2014, 18:18

JAG13 wrote: This is a "What if" gentlemen....isn't it???
Indeed it is but that doesn't mean that fact and reason can be ignored.
The topic was railroads in Turkey. "If" Germany from whatever means obtained transit rights AND the UK bombed the rail lines, you believe the Turks would sit back and say "jolly good show"??? IMHO it would have created discourse between Turkey and the UK.....this is a given. There are many directions Turkey could go.
But much depends on just how the Germans got that permission does it not? If they had to do so under significant presure and the UK was careful in their strikes there might be little consequence. If on the other hand the Turks joined the Axis the implications are somewhat different.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 11 Aug 2014, 21:00

LWD wrote:
Lol, that is mighty rich comming from you, so what "facts and reason" are being ignored?

LWD

Post by LWD » 11 Aug 2014, 21:27

JAG13 wrote:
LWD wrote:
Lol, that is mighty rich comming from you,
Care to point out where I am ignoring fact or reason as this implies?
so what "facts and reason" are being ignored?
It's layed out pretty well in the FAQ for this board. Now the original questions weren't really what if questions but simply ones related to the capacity of the Turkish rail system. On the other hand if you posit German access to the Turkish rail system it should be clearly defined how they got such access and the definition should be "reasonable". Probably should be in a seperate thread as well.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Aug 2014, 04:52

A fact-free insult post from JAG13 was removed by this moderator - DT.

JAG13 -- Our rules prohibit insulting posts. Please don't make this mistake again.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 12 Aug 2014, 19:39

Ok, aniother answer:
LWD wrote:
JAG13 wrote:
LWD wrote:
Lol, that is mighty rich comming from you,
Care to point out where I am ignoring fact or reason as this implies?
It's layed out pretty well in the FAQ for this board. Now the original questions weren't really what if questions but simply ones related to the capacity of the Turkish rail system. On the other hand if you posit German access to the Turkish rail system it should be clearly defined how they got such access and the definition should be "reasonable". Probably should be in a seperate thread as well.
I courteously reject the content of your post since I believe it baseless and lacking in factual content, in addition to appreciating that its intent is at odds with the spirit of a elevating debate, that is, as evidenced by your indisposition to provide any shred of evidence in order to, in any way, sustain your aforementioned statement.

Be well.

LWD

Post by LWD » 13 Aug 2014, 18:43

JAG13 wrote:Ok, aniother answer:
LWD wrote:... Care to point out where I am ignoring fact or reason as this implies?
I notice that you avoided answering this question.
I courteously reject the content of your post since I believe it baseless and lacking in factual content,[/quote]
Hardly baselsess or lacking in factual content whatever your beliefs. Either you have not looked at the FAQs in question or do not understand them to make it easier here are links to two important ones:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77436
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=167937
Your sarcasm is also noted.
in addition to appreciating that its intent is at odds with the spirit of a elevating debate, that is, as evidenced by your indisposition to provide any shred of evidence in order to, in any way, sustain your aforementioned statement.
Quite the opposite. It's hard to have a well reasoned discussion on a topic that is not well defined from the beginning. Simply stateing that something happens is a long way from defining the situation. In this case how and why the Germans would get access to the Turkish rail system is critical and the lack of it means that people will likely be discussing significantly different what ifs and may not even realize it. After the thread continues for more than a few pages like that one simply has chaos. Likewise how do we know if the "what if" is reasonable if it is not well defined. Note that the "reasonable" requirement is in the FAQs.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 13 Aug 2014, 19:39

LWD wrote:
JAG13 wrote:Ok, aniother answer:
LWD wrote:... Care to point out where I am ignoring fact or reason as this implies?
I notice that you avoided answering this question.
I courteously reject the content of your post since I believe it baseless and lacking in factual content,
Hardly baselsess or lacking in factual content whatever your beliefs. Either you have not looked at the FAQs in question or do not understand them to make it easier here are links to two important ones:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77436
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=167937
Your sarcasm is also noted.
in addition to appreciating that its intent is at odds with the spirit of a elevating debate, that is, as evidenced by your indisposition to provide any shred of evidence in order to, in any way, sustain your aforementioned statement.
Quite the opposite. It's hard to have a well reasoned discussion on a topic that is not well defined from the beginning. Simply stateing that something happens is a long way from defining the situation. In this case how and why the Germans would get access to the Turkish rail system is critical and the lack of it means that people will likely be discussing significantly different what ifs and may not even realize it. After the thread continues for more than a few pages like that one simply has chaos. Likewise how do we know if the "what if" is reasonable if it is not well defined. Note that the "reasonable" requirement is in the FAQs.[/quote]

The OP was about logistics, and so was my answer.

Ok, Ill bite...

Turkey was in a difficult position, was an ally of Britain and France but they had failed to provide the promised weapons while demanding they suicide by attacking the axis with ww1 weapons, plus France had been overrun and they have just had first row seats to see the Brits get kicked out of the continent, yet again, so their belief in them had taken a hit.

Now Russia was Turkeys #1 threat and had already made noises about retaking the areas ceded to Turkey after ww1 and finally achieving their centuries old objective of securing the straits so, they were in the same place Bulgaria was early in the year, they can take the German deal and get a chunk of its neighbours plus protection from the Russians, or they can be thrown to the Russians or even be polonized, they would be run over just like the Yugoeslavs and Greeks were, only that pretty much everyone would want a piece of them, the Russians would take the east and eventually the straits (maybe take even the Kurds in) and let the Armenians run amok exacting revenge for the WWI genocide, the Italians would round up their "Empire" by acquiring the coastal areas, France would get Hatay back plus a little extra to make them feel warm and fuzzy for signing the Paris Protocols, even the Iraquis would get a chunk if they so want.

So yeah, they can opose the German and fight, what they cant is survive if they do and they know it, which is why their answer IRL was "we want Iraq or an oil soacked chunk of it" as Papen and Ribbentrop reported, not "we will gladly die for the British in spite of them leaving us on the lurch without the promised weapons". Germany could offer lots of French weapons, a choice of Aegean islands, a potential Crete-Dodecanse exchange and maybe a better deal on Iraqi oil in order to get free passage or joining the axis.

Of course, if they dont join the next day after granting passage to the Germans the Russians would show up and ask for concessions as well with very unpleasant consequences for the Turks if they lack German backing, so joining the axis is the safest option if you are already yielding.

The Russians... the Russians would do the same thing they did after they warned the Germans to stay out of Bulgaria and after they signed their friendship treaty with Yugoeslavia one day before Marita, eat it, they were not ready for war and needed time to prepare which is why they henceforth changed their stance, offered more grain, more materials, ceded on border demarcation issues and basically tried to look as nice as possible to Hitler... and corporal Tack could always offer them better conditions to transit the straits as a palliative, but not bases.

Now the brits, they would harass the Turks with a few bombers and try to send saboteur teams, hardly anything comparable to what the axis could do to them.

The Turks demonstrated to be VERY practical, they took note of Belgrade's treatment by the LW, they knew there was nothing they could no if the Germans really pressed, but Hitler was satisfied with securing his flank in order to launch Barbarossa, he could and planned to deal with the Turks later.

Copy-paste is so exhausting.

LWD

Post by LWD » 13 Aug 2014, 21:33

JAG13 wrote: The OP was about logistics, and so was my answer.
The post that I responded to was:
JAG13 wrote: This is a "What if" gentlemen....isn't it??? The topic was railroads in Turkey. "If" Germany from whatever means obtained transit rights AND the UK bombed the rail lines, you believe the Turks would sit back and say "jolly good show"??? IMHO it would have created discourse between Turkey and the UK.....this is a given. There are many directions Turkey could go.

The Turks would have to join the axis from day one, if they give the Germans anything and DONT secure an alliance they would have uncle Joe come knocking next day asking for his share... a full alliance is the only way to get protection form the Russians.

Really, the Brits are the LEAST concern to the Turks considering the circumstances. What are they going to do, send some ships and bombers to harass them? Germans and Russians are already at the door and the Turks are on the way...
My response was in particular targeted at "This is a "What if" gentlemen" and ' "If" Germany from whatever means obtained transit rights'. Neither are particularly related to the OP that I can see.
JAG13 wrote: Ok, Ill bite...

Turkey was in a difficult position, was an ally of Britain and France but they had failed to provide the promised weapons while demanding they suicide by attacking the axis with ww1 weapons, plus France had been overrun and they have just had first row seats to see the Brits get kicked out of the continent, yet again, so their belief in them had taken a hit.
Is this a POD? If not quite correct. Turkey wasn't an ally of Britain or France as they didn't enter the war until very late. Indeed from what I've read initially the British wanted the Turks to stay neutral.
JAG13 wrote: Now Russia was Turkeys #1 threat and had already made noises about retaking the areas ceded to Turkey after ww1 and finally achieving their centuries old objective of securing the straits so, they were in the same place Bulgaria was early in the year, they can take the German deal and get a chunk of its neighbours plus protection from the Russians, or they can be thrown to the Russians or even be polonized, they would be run over just like the Yugoeslavs and Greeks were, only that pretty much everyone would want a piece of them, the Russians would take the east and eventually the straits (maybe take even the Kurds in) and let the Armenians run amok exacting revenge for the WWI genocide, the Italians would round up their "Empire" by acquiring the coastal areas, France would get Hatay back plus a little extra to make them feel warm and fuzzy for signing the Paris Protocols, even the Iraquis would get a chunk if they so want.

So yeah, they can opose the German and fight, what they cant is survive if they do and they know it, which is why their answer IRL was "we want Iraq or an oil soacked chunk of it" as Papen and Ribbentrop reported, not "we will gladly die for the British in spite of them leaving us on the lurch without the promised weapons". Germany could offer lots of French weapons, a choice of Aegean islands, a potential Crete-Dodecanse exchange and maybe a better deal on Iraqi oil in order to get free passage or joining the axis.
If the Turks decide to enter the war on the allied side after the Germans attack the USSR then Stalin is hardly going to be pushing to take back parts of Turkey. Before that point it's rather an open question but staying neutral seems in the Turks best interest. Even if the Axis attack them they have a pretty good chance of surviving. They might loose the European sections of Turkey but sea born invasions weren't a strong suit of the Axis powers. Germany hardly has "lots of French weapons" to offer in any case.

But of course we are wandering off topic as the topic was the Turkish railway capcity. Which as I stated earlier isn't even a real what if question.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 13 Aug 2014, 22:11

[/quote]

Is this a POD? If not quite correct. Turkey wasn't an ally of Britain or France as they didn't enter the war until very late. Indeed from what I've read initially the British wanted the Turks to stay neutral.[/quote]

If you want to discuss something first read a bit about the issue and particularly on the Anglo-French-Turkish Treaty of 1939...

After the fall of France and Italian entry Britain pressed Turkey to enter the war right up until Marita, the Turks wisely declined retorting: where the hell are the weapons you promised? Who's gonna buy my products if not Germany?

Only after the Germans made it to Turkey did the British preferred them to stay neutral, because the udnerstood the Turks werent idiots and wouldnt commit suicide by nazi, so they "preferred" the Turks to stay neutral, as opposed to Turkey's decision to stay neutral...
JAG13 wrote: Now Russia was Turkeys #1 threat and had already made noises about retaking the areas ceded to Turkey after ww1 and finally achieving their centuries old objective of securing the straits so, they were in the same place Bulgaria was early in the year, they can take the German deal and get a chunk of its neighbours plus protection from the Russians, or they can be thrown to the Russians or even be polonized, they would be run over just like the Yugoeslavs and Greeks were, only that pretty much everyone would want a piece of them, the Russians would take the east and eventually the straits (maybe take even the Kurds in) and let the Armenians run amok exacting revenge for the WWI genocide, the Italians would round up their "Empire" by acquiring the coastal areas, France would get Hatay back plus a little extra to make them feel warm and fuzzy for signing the Paris Protocols, even the Iraquis would get a chunk if they so want.

If the Turks decide to enter the war on the allied side after the Germans attack the USSR then Stalin is hardly going to be pushing to take back parts of Turkey. Before that point it's rather an open question but staying neutral seems in the Turks best interest. Even if the Axis attack them they have a pretty good chance of surviving. They might loose the European sections of Turkey but sea born invasions weren't a strong suit of the Axis powers. Germany hardly has "lots of French weapons" to offer in any case.

With what weapons? And why in hell would they do that if they didnt IRL and had nothing to gain from it? Please...
But of course we are wandering off topic as the topic was the Turkish railway capcity. Which as I stated earlier isn't even a real what if question.
Well, you asked... :roll:

LWD

Post by LWD » 13 Aug 2014, 23:11

JAG13 wrote:

Is this a POD? If not quite correct. Turkey wasn't an ally of Britain or France as they didn't enter the war until very late. Indeed from what I've read initially the British wanted the Turks to stay neutral.
If you want to discuss something first read a bit about the issue and particularly on the Anglo-French-Turkish Treaty of 1939...
The fact that they had an agreement doesn't mean that they were allies and indeed from what I can see the Turks were within the terms of the treaty.
After the fall of France and Italian entry Britain pressed Turkey to enter the war right up until Marita, the Turks wisely declined retorting: where the hell are the weapons you promised? Who's gonna buy my products if not Germany?
The possibility of war with the USSR was also there up until Germany launched Barbarossa which is relevant to the treaty but I'm not sure how relevant to the lead up.

Only after the Germans made it to Turkey did the British preferred them to stay neutral, because the udnerstood the Turks werent idiots and wouldnt commit suicide by nazi, so they "preferred" the Turks to stay neutral, as opposed to Turkey's decision to stay neutral...
JAG13 wrote:
With what weapons? And why in hell would they do that if they didnt IRL and had nothing to gain from it? Please...
The point of course was that the USSR stoped being a threat once attacked by the Germans, unless of course the Turks joined the axis.
Well, you asked... :roll:
Not really. What I did do was point out what the FAQs say is wanted and why it's a good idea. This might actually make a good what if with some fleshing out but it isn't really on topic based on the OP or the title.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 14 Aug 2014, 01:34

LWD wrote:
JAG13 wrote:

The fact that they had an agreement doesn't mean that they were allies and indeed from what I can see the Turks were within the terms of the treaty.
Agreement... you mean the treaty of alliance? I could help you understand but, why bother?

The rest is not worth responding to.

Old_Fossil

Post by Old_Fossil » 15 Aug 2014, 20:20

Getting back to the Turkish Railway, I found this tidbit on the boards in a topic concerning the 7th Australian Division in Operation Exporter:

“Jon G. wrote
Apparently Vichy was allowed to send one battalion to the Levant from metropolitan France during Operation Exporter after much wrangling with the Germans. But the Turks wouldn't allow this formation passage, and with Operation Barbarossa launching while the Vichy battalion was en route the Germans lost all interest in the project. Instead, the French tried sailing this unit to Syria from Salonika, but it didn't reach its destination due to British command of the sea.”

The “Silent Seventh” post #8
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=104695

The source for Jon G.’s information may be from an article he mentions his previous post #7.
“There's a very good essay by A. B. Gaunson about the Levant affair in The Historical Journal, vol. 27, no. 3, entitled Churchill, de Gaulle, Spears and the Levant Affair, 1941”

Thus not only did the Germans permit Vichy to transfer aircraft to Lebanon/Syria but also ground troops at a time when in the OTL there was no assurance that Turkey would allow them to use their railway. So once again I submit that had there been a POD where Turkey did allow their railways to be used by the Axis one of the greatest effects could have been a much harder time for the Allies in Exporter. Also, in the OTL the French commander General Henri Dentz refused German offers for help. Germany's failure in the OTL to save Rashid Ali's regime in Iraq was no doubt fresh on his mind. With the Turkish railways available Germany's offer becomes much more substantial and could potentially change Dentz's mind.
"If things were different, they wouldn't be the same."

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 16 Aug 2014, 04:07

Old_Fossil wrote:
Thus not only did the Germans permit Vichy to transfer aircraft to Lebanon/Syria but also ground troops at a time when in the OTL there was no assurance that Turkey would allow them to use their railway. So once again I submit that had there been a POD where Turkey did allow their railways to be used by the Axis one of the greatest effects could have been a much harder time for the Allies in Exporter. Also, in the OTL the French commander General Henri Dentz refused German offers for help. Germany's failure in the OTL to save Rashid Ali's regime in Iraq was no doubt fresh on his mind. With the Turkish railways available Germany's offer becomes much more substantial and could potentially change Dentz's mind.
Well, if the Germans go after the British in 1941 the ratification of the Paris Protocols is likely, that means the Germans have access to bases on French colonies and at the very least that means a non-official war between France and Britain.

Algeria based bombers would make Gibraltar unusable as a base by the destruction of all surface facilities and the bombing of any shipping trying to anchor there.

The French Navy might try to launch their own raider operations using their remaining submarines, CAs (4), CLs (10), Strasbourg and Bearn. I doubt they would like to coordinate actions with the axis.

The Germans would be able to base Uboats and aircraft in Dakar, the French might attempt to complete Richelieu and repair Dunkerque in France.

Another interesting possible outcome might be a less hostile relationship between France and Japan, thus preventing the invasion of Indochina and the subsequent US oil embargo on Japan...

Return to “What if”