No Panzer III Wins the War

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Richard Anderson

Re: No Panzer III Wins the War

Post by Richard Anderson » 31 Mar 2017, 20:34

Yoozername wrote:
5. le. Afrika Division....I thought this was a motorized infantry unit that was not tank'd toll '42??
Nope. It was the original Sperrverband Rommel and was renamed 21. Panzerdivision in August.

Meanwhile I'm afraid I don't work or post to your schedule, so chill if you want a complete reply from me.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 31 Mar 2017, 21:37

Richard Anderson wrote:
Yoozername wrote:
Meanwhile I'm afraid I don't work or post to your schedule, so chill if you want a complete reply from me.
Oh, please by all means, take your time. And, again, not everything is about you. Take a nap.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 31 Mar 2017, 22:16

Yoozername wrote:
Richard Anderson wrote:
Yoozername wrote:
Oh, please by all means, take your time. And, again, not everything is about you. Take a nap.
Yeah, I expected as much. Welcome to the ignore list.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 01 Apr 2017, 00:16

Yeah, I expected as much. Welcome to the ignore list.
He went from using smiley faces and razzes, to walking off in a huff. Oh well, its happy hour, and I was going to buy him a drink...seriously, some of you people need to lighten up...

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 02 Apr 2017, 00:06

Yoozername wrote:If you would want to make a point, or even better, provide information, hopefully with a time frame/date, that would be even better still.
Here's a point then. Try not to be such an asshole, unless you wish to be treated as one. Then go do some research since your knowledge is remarkably deficient in this area.
Something like 2nd PD lost its tanks sunk and was being refitted and got XYX...etc.
As in this case. 2. Panzer Division lost no tanks...or if it lost any they were Pz II. What it lost on Kybfels and Marburg were most of the weapons and vehicles of Artillerie Regiment 74 along with a large chunk of its personnel, most of the armored cars and some vehicles of Pz.A.A. 5. and more personnel, and a good chunk of the vehicles and personnel of Pz.Pi. Btl. 38., along with bits and pieces of other units. Pz. Regt. 3 lost just 2 NCO's and EM in the sinking, along with 2 s.Zgkw. It was the other losses which crippled the division until it was sent to the Ostfront on 14 September, the Panzer regiment had already landed in Taranto with most, if not all, of its tanks.
I would be most interested in Panzer III 5.0cm types, of course. But feel free to share. Also, did any of those receive Panzer IV in 45 AFV quantities?
No, why would they receive them in such quantities when the regimental organization called for a maximum of 42 and none achieved that?
Something like this...for Panzer Regt 31
August 1941 auf acht Kompanien aufgestockt, zwei leichte Kompanien kamen hinzu. Das Regiment bestand dann aus 55 Panzer II, 105 Panzer III, 20 Panzer IV und 6 Befehlspanzern. Zu Beginn der Sommeroffensive 1942 bestand das Regiment aus 26 Panzer II, 55 Panzer III kurz, 13 Panzern IV kurz und 9 Befehlspanzern
It might help if you knew the background. Panzer Regiment 31. was one of the weakest when committed to MARITA. It had two battalions, but with only two medium and four light companies: 9 Pz I, 40 Pz II, 19 Pz III (3.7cm), 32 Pz III (5cm), and 16 Pz IV. It lost 1 Pz I, 10 Pz III, and 2 Pz IV and left its 5. Kompanie behind to form the nucleus of Panzer Abteilung Kreta, leaving it with only 35 Pz II, 17 Pz III (5cm), and 16 Pz IV on 21 June. It received at least 20 Pz II, 88 Pz III (5cm), and 4 Pz IV as replacements 21 June-1 August. Interestingly enough, it was actually planned for a possible "tropical" commitment (i.e., Africa) until September, when it went east.
5. le. Afrika Division....I thought this was a motorized infantry unit that was not tank'd toll '42??
You thought wrong. What you missed:

15. Panzer Division
Panzer Regiment 8. (2 battalions with 4 light and 2 medium companies)
45 Pz II, 71 Pz III (5cm), 20 Pz IV

5. le. Afrika Division
Panzer Regiment 5. And Pz.Jg.Abtl. 605.
29 Pz I, 45 Pz II, 71 Pz III (5cm), 20 Pz IV (includes 10 Pz III, 3 Pz IV arrived 10-14 April as replacements for losses at Naples, 15 Pz III, 5 Pz IV arrived July-August as replacements for losses for both regiments)

There was also Panzer Abteilung z.B.V. 40 with c. 21 Pz I, 16 Pz II and an unknown number of Pz III in Finland.

All told, c. 58 Pz I, 203 Pz II, 47 Pz III (3.7cm), 312 Pz III (5cm), 91 Pz IV in the units you missed, plus 22 June BARBAROSSA strengths of 152 Pz I, 743 Pz II, 265 Pz III (3.7cm), 707 Pz III (5cm), 407 Pz IV, for a grand total of c. 210 Pz I, 946 Pz II, 312 Pz III (3.7cm), 1,019 Pz III (5cm), and 498 Pz IV in combat units or allocated as replacements c. June-July 1941.

WRT the Panzer III (5cm), as of 1 June there were 1,090 in inventory after losses of 4 in May (probably late counts from Marita) and issue of 121 new and 29 rebuilt (from Pz III 3.7cm) of 143 produced in May. On 1 July, on hand increased to 1,174 through losses of 27 and issue of 88 new and 23 rebuilt of 133 produced in June. On 1 August, on hand increased to 1,211 through losses of 164 and issue of 176 new and 25 rebuilt of 127 produced in July.

Issue that can be accounted for in June and July include 88 Pz III (5cm) to Panzer Regiment 31., 15 to Panzer Regiment 5. & 8. in Africa, and 45 as replacements to the Ostfront, just 148 of the 312 issued. I suspect the remainder were probably held for the expected organization of 22. and 23. Panzer Division in September.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

paulrward

Post by paulrward » 02 Apr 2017, 00:46

Hello All ;

Mr. Anderson stated ;
Here's a point then. Try not to be such an asshole, unless you wish to be treated as one.
I could make a statement with respect to Mirrors, or perhaps one relating to Pots and Kettles, but it would seem to be superfluous.

Respectfully ;

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 02 Apr 2017, 02:45

Funny stuff. First he says he puts me on 'Ignore' and now he takes hours out his life to prove my point. And the point is, the Germans put a disproportionate number of early Panzer III in the attacking units sent into Russia. If anything, they compounded the problem of the Soviet heavy tanks. This, and the unbalanced assigning of panzers to divisions, compounded the problem further.

I don't expect him to be a man of his word, that is, to actually have me on ignore. To be honest, it doesn't matter.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 02 Apr 2017, 04:31

Yoozername wrote:Funny stuff. First he says he puts me on 'Ignore' and now he takes hours out his life to prove my point. And the point is, the Germans put a disproportionate number of early Panzer III in the attacking units sent into Russia. If anything, they compounded the problem of the Soviet heavy tanks. This, and the unbalanced assigning of panzers to divisions, compounded the problem further.
It grew. And the Panzer III (5cm) was the latest growth. So who got it? Well, Panzer Regiment 31. Newly reformed after MARITA. Panzer Regiment 5. & 8., which got sent to Africa. With tropicalized Panzer III (5cm). Because they were new production. No more reason than that.

Meanwhile:

In France 1940, Pz. Regt 1. and 2. in 1. Panzer Division had 28 and 30 Pz III (3.7cm) respectively. But in Russia 1941, Pz. Regt. 1, still in 1. Panzer Division had none, but Pz. Regt. 2., now in 16. Panzer Division still had 23. The other transfers were similar. Meanwhile, 183 Pz III (3.7 cm) were "lost" from March-May, except combat losses can only account for at most 21, in MARITA. So where did the other 162 odd go? They were turned in for rebuilding...and replaced by Pz III (5cm).

Post France, 88 new and 68 rebuilt Pz III (3.7cm) were issued and 183 were withdrawn. 986 new and 108 rebuilt Pz III (5cm) were issued, but 255-odd were tropicalized and issued to Pz. Regt. 5., 8., and possibly 31. 2. Panzer also arrived on the Ostfront in September with 105 Pz III (5cm), indicating it received at least 71 more...and turned in all its remaining 3.7cm models too. About one-third went to divisions because they either had a special requirement for a "new" tank or because it was convenient.
I don't expect him to be a man of his word, that is, to actually have me on ignore. To be honest, it doesn't matter.
Believe me, I'm ignoring your comments, until they start displaying some actual sense of reality.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 02 Apr 2017, 05:10

You have no dignity. Really. You say you have 'ignored' someone and then read and respond to their posts?

Oh well. I am sure I will read your books on a best-seller list. Is there anything more pathetic than a petty, childish old man?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 02 Apr 2017, 07:37

Yoozername wrote:You have no dignity. Really. You say you have 'ignored' someone and then read and respond to their posts?

Oh well. I am sure I will read your books on a best-seller list. Is there anything more pathetic than a petty, childish old man?
Yes, a silly young one that thinks its all about him.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 02 Apr 2017, 07:51

Richard Anderson wrote:
Yoozername wrote:You have no dignity. Really. You say you have 'ignored' someone and then read and respond to their posts?

Yes, a silly young one that thinks its all about him.
I was commenting about your character. No real rebuttal?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 Apr 2017, 11:14

This is going nowhere and is now locked due to the repeated nonsense posts.

Return to “What if”