Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
User avatar
Robert Rojas
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: 19 Nov 2002 04:29
Location: Pleasant Hill, California - U.S.A.

RE: Should The U.S. Have Tried Getting More Caribbean Territories In The Early 20th Century?

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Jan 2019 18:34

Greetings to brother Futurist, brother Opana Pointer and the community as a whole. Howdy troops! Well boys, in respect to the brief notations of Friday - January 04, 2019 - 6:00pm / Friday -January 04, 2019 - 7:18pm / Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 2:50am, old yours truly believes that it would be safe to say that we are all observing the historical legacy AND the contemporary political fallout from the Spanish-American War of year 1898. As all three of us know, a victory brings about as many unforeseen consequences as does a defeat. In RETROSPECT, given what we now see in the economic, political and social evolution of the American appendage that is presently known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, I thank God Almighty that the United States of America opted NOT to acquire more Caribbean territories in the EARLY Twentieth Century. In terms of either historical OR hysterical relevance, as a territorial dependency, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico ostensibly enjoys the FEDERAL benefits and conveniences of a STATE without the FEDERAL responsibilities and inconveniences that is wholly expected of a STATE. One over glorified FEDERAL welfare recipient in the Caribbean Basin is and a has been MORE than enough! So, is it any great wonder OR surprise why the rank and file citizenry of the Island of Puerto Rico consistently reject any suggestion of bona fide Statehood!? The appropriate adage is: HAVING ONE'S CAKE AND EATING IT TOO! Old Uncle Bob can already hear the indignant howls of "offended outrage" from the mavens of political correctness for having the temerity to broach this seldom addressed reality. Now, as a peripheral matter, I will forego interjecting any commentary about our continued presence at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. That is a thorny matter that is best left for another day and another discussion. Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this topic worthy of the unintended consequences spawned in the early years of the Twentieth Century - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid the both of you an especially copacetic day from sea to shining sea.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Rob Stuart
Member
Posts: 1029
Joined: 18 Apr 2009 00:41
Location: Ottawa

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by Rob Stuart » 05 Jan 2019 18:51

Futurist wrote:
05 Jan 2019 04:18
OpanaPointer wrote:
05 Jan 2019 03:17
Puerto Rico doesn't want to be a state.
It doesn't want to become independent either, though.
There is an obvious way out of this impasse. Puerto Rico should become a Canadian province. Then I could go the the Caribbean without a passport.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 4201
Joined: 16 May 2010 14:12
Location: United States of America

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Jan 2019 18:59

Rob Stuart wrote:
05 Jan 2019 18:51
Futurist wrote:
05 Jan 2019 04:18
OpanaPointer wrote:
05 Jan 2019 03:17
Puerto Rico doesn't want to be a state.
It doesn't want to become independent either, though.
There is an obvious way out of this impasse. Puerto Rico should become a Canadian province. Then I could go the the Caribbean without a passport.
I spent two years there in the '70s. The weather was perfect, less hurricane days. Loved Loquillo Beach and the Phosphorescent Bay.

Image
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

User avatar
Robert Rojas
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: 19 Nov 2002 04:29
Location: Pleasant Hill, California - U.S.A.

RE: The American Excess Card - DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Jan 2019 19:53

Greetings to both cousin Rob Stuart and the community as a whole. Howdy Rob! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 9:51am, if old yours truly recollects, there is an adage that goes something like this: DO NOT PRAY TOO HARD FOR WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT! With the theoretical absorption of the island of Puerto Rico, I rather imagine that would compel the GREAT WHITE NORTH to become a nation with THREE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES. I bet that will go over like the lead balloon with both your Anglophones and Francophones. I also have to wonder how deeply your average Joe and Jane taxpayer will have to fork out in unbridled public assistance for the ongoing support and maintenance of that tropical vacation destination. Finally, why should the GREAT WHITE NORTH stop with the island of Puerto Rico? I would "think' that the nation of Haiti on the collective geographic entity that is the island of Hispaniola would also be a good fit for Canadian governance. Apart from driving the Canadian treasury into bankruptcy, Francophonic Haiti would almost certainly make for a "wonderful" and truly "memorable" vacation destination for all of the snowbound folks up in ever beautiful Montreal. Yes, as the United States of America has found out much to its eternal sorrow, Haiti is one of those gifts that keeps on giving! It's just some friendly food for thought. Meals Ready to Eat anyone? Well, that's my latest two Yankee cents worth on this exercise into the angst ridden corners of the Caribbean - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day up in your corner of the proverbial GREAT WHITE NORTH that is Canada - EH!?

Best Regards
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Futurist
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: RE: Should The U.S. Have Tried Getting More Caribbean Territories In The Early 20th Century?

Post by Futurist » 05 Jan 2019 19:59

Robert Rojas wrote:
05 Jan 2019 18:34
I thank God Almighty that the United States of America opted NOT to acquire more Caribbean territories in the EARLY Twentieth Century.
Actually, we did. Specifically, we acquired the Danish West Indies in 1917 and renamed them the U.S. Virgin Islands.

User avatar
Robert Rojas
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: 19 Nov 2002 04:29
Location: Pleasant Hill, California - U.S.A.

RE: Danish - British - American (Are There Really Virgins In Any Of Those Islands?)

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Jan 2019 20:34

Greetings to both brother Futurist and the community as a whole. Howdy Futurist (or Alvin Toffler is you so prefer)! Well sir, in light of your posting of Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 10:59, old yours truly would like to convey my appreciation for the historical clarification concerning the acquisition of the then controlled Danish Virgin Islands. I HEREBY STAND DULY CORRECTED! For some years now, I was under the erroneous impression that Great Britain had ceded a portion of their British Virgin Islands as part of a financial swap for American material support during the very early stages of the Second World War. For whatever the reason, I also under the notion that the purported British Virgin Island real estate exchange in the Caribbean was part and parcel with the transfer of mothballed World War One era destroyers from the United States Navy to the British Royal Navy. Well, thanks to you, I've learned something new today. THANK YOU! Well, that's my latest two cents or pence worth on this ongoing saga down CONDE NASTE lane - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in your corner of the Magic Kingdom better known as DISNEYLAND!


Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :oops: :) :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

User avatar
Robert Rojas
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: 19 Nov 2002 04:29
Location: Pleasant Hill, California - U.S.A.

RE: Fun - Travel - Adventure!

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Jan 2019 21:23

Greetings to both brother Opana Pointer and the community as a whole. Howdy O.P.! Well sir, in respect to your posting AND photographic contribution of Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 9:59am, old yours truly was wondering what you had that cooler? And where are ALL of your lady friends? After all, we certainly have to keep our priorities straight! Incidentally, back in the day, you were quite the handsome devil! Now, given your youth and physique, may I dare to assume that you were posted to the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station with one of our military services? Without a doubt, the recent Hurricane Maria irrevocably transformed many of your youthful haunts from the decade of the 1970's. Cherish your memories with paradise lost! Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this ongoing saga in the Yankee Caribbean - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day from sea to shining sea!


Best Regards From The State of CORRUPT-O-FORNIA!
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :P :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Futurist
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: RE: Danish - British - American (Are There Really Virgins In Any Of Those Islands?)

Post by Futurist » 05 Jan 2019 22:11

Robert Rojas wrote:
05 Jan 2019 20:34
Greetings to both brother Futurist and the community as a whole. Howdy Futurist (or Alvin Toffler is you so prefer)! Well sir, in light of your posting of Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 10:59, old yours truly would like to convey my appreciation for the historical clarification concerning the acquisition of the then controlled Danish Virgin Islands. I HEREBY STAND DULY CORRECTED! For some years now, I was under the erroneous impression that Great Britain had ceded a portion of their British Virgin Islands as part of a financial swap for American material support during the very early stages of the Second World War. For whatever the reason, I also under the notion that the purported British Virgin Island real estate exchange in the Caribbean was part and parcel with the transfer of mothballed World War One era destroyers from the United States Navy to the British Royal Navy. Well, thanks to you, I've learned something new today. THANK YOU! Well, that's my latest two cents or pence worth on this ongoing saga down CONDE NASTE lane - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in your corner of the Magic Kingdom better known as DISNEYLAND!


Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :oops: :) :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
Yeah, the U.S. purchased the Danish West Indies from Denmark in 1916 (the official transfer was in 1917) after a failed purchase attempt in 1902.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 4201
Joined: 16 May 2010 14:12
Location: United States of America

Re: RE: Fun - Travel - Adventure!

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Jan 2019 23:30

Robert Rojas wrote:
05 Jan 2019 21:23
Greetings to both brother Opana Pointer and the community as a whole. Howdy O.P.! Well sir, in respect to your posting AND photographic contribution of Saturday - January 05, 2019 - 9:59am, old yours truly was wondering what you had that cooler? And where are ALL of your lady friends? After all, we certainly have to keep our priorities straight! Incidentally, back in the day, you were quite the handsome devil! Now, given your youth and physique, may I dare to assume that you were posted to the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station with one of our military services? Without a doubt, the recent Hurricane Maria irrevocably transformed many of your youthful haunts from the decade of the 1970's. Cherish your memories with paradise lost! Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this ongoing saga in the Yankee Caribbean - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day from sea to shining sea!


Best Regards From The State of CORRUPT-O-FORNIA!
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :P :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
The ladies are in other pictures. I won't post them because there's a distressing shortage of swimwear in those. 8-)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

South
Financial supporter
Posts: 3590
Joined: 06 Sep 2007 09:01
Location: USA

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by South » 06 Jan 2019 11:32

Good morning Opana Pointer,

Whatever's in that red and white health food box surely works real good !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

User avatar
Robert Rojas
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: 19 Nov 2002 04:29
Location: Pleasant Hill, California - U.S.A.

RE: Should The U.S. Have Tried Getting More Caribbean Terrirories In The Early 20th Century?

Post by Robert Rojas » 06 Jan 2019 21:26

Greetings to both brother South and the community as a whole. Howdy Bob! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Sunday - January 06, 2019 - 2:32am, like yourself, old yours truly is also more than a wee bit curious about the potential contents of brother O.P.' s ubiquitous cooler. Given the time period involved, it would not be terribly surprising if his "RED AND WHITE HEALTH FOOD BOX" contained such classic libations as the KING OF BEERS, THE CHAMPAGNE OF BOTTLED BEERS and, of course, MICHELOB. Yes, the wine of the working class and the traditional elixir of Yankee servicemen everywhere! Needless to say, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is also GROUND ZERO for some of the finest RUM products you will find anywhere on good old Terra Firma, but I've never heard of anyone ever knowingly ensconcing a flask or two of some of Puerto Rico's finest analgesics among chilling bottles of barley and hops. On the other hand, the both of us know only too well just how creative and enterprising servicemen can be! Finally, old Uncle Bob was mildly disappointed when brother O.P. politely declined to share his photographic wealth so to speak - I never knew that Puerto Rico had clothing optional beaches back in the day. I guess we all live and learn. Well, that's my latest two Yankee cents worth on this continuing saga of R & R in the Yankee Caribbean - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of the Old Dominion that is the Commonwealth of Virginia.


Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :P :lol: :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Sid Guttridge
Member
Posts: 7096
Joined: 12 Jun 2008 11:19

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 Jan 2019 21:42

Hi Guys,

Further US expansion in the Americas was on the agenda into early WWII. Roosevelt turned down a hard line proposal that the destroyers-for-bases deal with the British should actually be a destroyers-for-territory deal in the Caribbean, and acquiring Baja California off Mexico was still being proposed in Congress in 1940. There was even a small minority group in Newfoundland (largely St. Johns businessmen) who wanted the island to join the USA, not Canada, after WWII! The USA did not encourage them.

Cheers,

Sid.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 4201
Joined: 16 May 2010 14:12
Location: United States of America

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by OpanaPointer » 07 Jan 2019 00:52

South wrote:
06 Jan 2019 11:32
Good morning Opana Pointer,

Whatever's in that red and white health food box surely works real good !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA
More like three years of physical therapy.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 4201
Joined: 16 May 2010 14:12
Location: United States of America

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by OpanaPointer » 07 Jan 2019 00:53

Sid Guttridge wrote:
06 Jan 2019 21:42
Hi Guys,

Further US expansion in the Americas was on the agenda into early WWII. Roosevelt turned down a hard line proposal that the destroyers-for-bases deal with the British should actually be a destroyers-for-territory deal in the Caribbean, and acquiring Baja California off Mexico was still being proposed in Congress in 1940. There was even a small minority group in Newfoundland (largely St. Johns businessmen) who wanted the island to join the USA, not Canada, after WWII! The USA did not encourage them.

Cheers,

Sid.
None of those proposals had any legs.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: Should the U.S. have tried getting more Caribbean territories in the early 20th century?

Post by Futurist » 07 Jan 2019 01:06

OpanaPointer wrote:
07 Jan 2019 00:53
Sid Guttridge wrote:
06 Jan 2019 21:42
Hi Guys,

Further US expansion in the Americas was on the agenda into early WWII. Roosevelt turned down a hard line proposal that the destroyers-for-bases deal with the British should actually be a destroyers-for-territory deal in the Caribbean, and acquiring Baja California off Mexico was still being proposed in Congress in 1940. There was even a small minority group in Newfoundland (largely St. Johns businessmen) who wanted the island to join the USA, not Canada, after WWII! The USA did not encourage them.

Cheers,

Sid.
None of those proposals had any legs.
What about the 1939 French offer of Caribbean islands in exchange for destroyers?

Return to “What if”