Does British India still get partitioned if there is no WWII?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

Does British India still get partitioned if there is no WWII?

Post by Futurist » 13 Jan 2019, 05:12

If there is no World War II, does British India still get partitioned?

Also, what about if there is a World War II but it is shorter as a result of there being no Fall of France? Does British India still get partitioned in such a scenario?

maltesefalcon

Re: Does British India still get partitioned if there is no WWII?

Post by maltesefalcon » 13 Jan 2019, 07:08

Going back only four pages in the formerly What If forum. (That has now become the Futurist playground.)

Stopped counting at six threads you started on just the France Doesn't Fall in 1940 scenerio. You are either extremely fixated on one microelement of history or are just starting new threads for the sake of doing so.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 13 Jan 2019, 08:06

maltesefalcon wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 07:08
Going back only four pages in the formerly What If forum. (That has now become the Futurist playground.)
To clarify--are you saying that I made such a thread four pages ago on this subsection of this forum?
Stopped counting at six threads you started on just the France Doesn't Fall in 1940 scenerio. You are either extremely fixated on one microelement of history or are just starting new threads for the sake of doing so.
The reason that I am so fascinated by the France doesn't fall in 1940 scenario is because it ensures that history doesn't change until 1940 but also results in either no Holocaust or a much smaller Holocaust depending on how long Hitler and the Nazis are able to remain in power in Germany afterwards. I like scenarios which don't go that far back considering that recent history gets more and more unpredictable due to the butterfly effect the farther back you try to change things. I also enjoy thinking about preventing the Holocaust since a lot of my Jewish family members were tragically murdered in it. :(

South

Post by South » 13 Jan 2019, 16:16

Good morning Futurist / Alvin,

Re: "... that history doesn't change until 1940 ... no ... smaller Holocaust...";
Re: "... history ... unpredictable due to ...... ... voodoo philosophy or Tibet biology books ...........The flutter of a butterfly's wings causes the
monsoon rains......

There are matters in history that can allow for predictability. Here are are few:

- Crop failures
- Starvation
- Epidemics
- Repressive legislation
- Terrorism
- Riots

In reply to British India and its independence;

Let us return to 1911. British India's next door neighbor, no fences, no walls, just harmony and the Himalaya Mountains, and neighbor Dr Sun declares the Chinese Republic. The Indians also heard about the Mexican Revolution of this time. They knew something about Ireland.

Is it fair and somewhat accurate that the Great War, Part II, had much less to do with British India being disestablished ?

India as a colonial venture was not a successful P&L - Profit and Loss (with emphasis on PROFIT !) Center for the British government. It was a premier venture for a marketplace for PRIVATE British textiles and manufactured goods.

It was the Great War, a/k/a WWI, that's used to mark the beginning of Indian nationalism. The Brits acknowledged this and made long term plans accordingly. India sent over a million troops to Europe to fight in the Great War. It didn't help matters for Indian Muslims see the British fighting the Muslim Ottomans.

After the Great War, there was the Government of India Act, 1919. Prior to London working on its enactment, British India experienced:
- crop failure
- starvation
- epidemic (flu)
- repressive legislation (the Rowlatt bills)
- terrorism (Bengal)
- riots (Punjab [no trials or trials without juries])

The stage was set.

Some trace the Holocaust to a group of German anti-Versailles "stabbed in the back" extremists. Others trace the Holocaust from the mid evil "religions" and fortified by the several - I've read various numbers - Armenian massacres / genocide from the late 1890 to the Great War.

As far as the fall of France in 1940........Was not France divided already by their French Revolution ? Recall part of WWII France did not fall; It was Vichy France and a part became France in exile with a resistance movement back home.

I believe it is best to also add the Union of Burma to your provoking question.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

cc: Madam Butterfly
cc: King Butterfly, the new Monarch
cc: Gen Slim
cc: Gen Stilwell

Feet Notes:

- The weather is semi-miserable here but, at least, none of that menthol flavored cigarette smoke some Indians like
- I recall the Brits introduced the khaki uniform by using the Indian spice ... was it House of Parliament steak sauce ? ... to stain the white cotton
uniforms the khaki color
- One of the smartest British military minds was Colonel Richard Birch. The Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 was caused because the Hindu Indian soldiers were forbidden to grease the rifle cartridges with tallow, the fat of the cow. The Muslim Indian soldiers were forbidden to grease the rifle cartridges with lard, the fat of the pig. Col Birch was my type of leader; Let 'em use any *******stuff they want to as long as the Enfield P53 rifle works !

Nowadays, there are commodity markets - think Chicago, USA - with markets working the trade of "grease choice white".

End of Transmission..............

Return to “What if”