If the US wasn't in Philippines in 1941, would it have made any difference in Japan's decision to attack Pearl Harbor?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today.
Robert Rojas

RE: The Act Of Havana Revisited.

Post by Robert Rojas » 23 Jun 2019 03:52

Greetings to both brother Futurist and the community as a whole. Howdy Futurist (or Alvin Toffler if you so prefer). Long time no talk to! Well sir, in respect to your introductory posting of Monday - May 13, 2019 - 9:07pm, old yours truly is more than a bit surprised that the disparate participants of this thread have overlooked the geopolitical implications of a world where there had been no Spanish-American War fought in year 1898. Now, as April 01, 1939 with the victory of the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War, both the Philippine Archipelago and the Marianas Archipelago would fall under the governance of Francisco Franco's Fascist leaning regime. In addition to this conundrum in the Pacific, you would also have the islands of Cuba and Puerto Rico under the tutelage of El Caudillo in the Caribbean Basin. At this point, I would like to join the clarion chorus of those who are of the opinion that it would NOT deter the Imperial Japanese Empire's fateful decision to mount its attack on the United States Navy's Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor anchored on the island of Oahu in the Hawaiian Islands. With a nominally "friendly" colonial administration ensconced in Manila, the Japanese MIGHT become emboldened to attack elsewhere in either the Pacific Rim or the Continent of Asia. Use your own imagination where that elsewhere might OR might not be. I also rather suspect (rightly OR wrongly) that the Roosevelt Administration would adopt a Western Hemispheric FIRST policy which would result in the immediate American invasion of both Cuba and Puerto Rico before any consideration is given to operations in either Europe or the Pacific. Both the Dutch and French colonial possessions would also fall under American occupation. In short, the United States of America is NOT going to brook ANY de facto Fascist political OR military presence in its own backyard much less a potential threat to the strategically vital Panama Canal Zone. Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this hypothetical topic of interest - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in your corner of the proverbial Magic Kingdom known as Disneyland.

Best Regards From The Northern Tier Of Our Once Golden State.
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Return to “What if”