German encirclement of 1st Belorussian Front 1945?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
The Norwegian Guy

German encirclement of 1st Belorussian Front 1945?

Post by The Norwegian Guy » 04 Oct 2019, 11:44

After the 1st Belorussian Front reached the Oder river in February, what would happen if they decided to advance on Berlin immediately and risk encirclement from the flanks? Could For example XXXX, XXIV and LVI Panzerkorps, possibly Panzerkorps GD’ as well encircle the whole spearhead of the Russian advance? That would be elements of 69th, 8th Guards, 1st Guards Tank Armies and maybe even 5th Shock and 2nd Guards Tank Armies? I believe this would have to happen between 03.02 -08/10.02. 1945 because the Soviet started to secure the flanks, heading against the Ostsee and Silesia.

:)

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: German Encirclement Of First Belorussian Front In 1945?

Post by Robert Rojas » 04 Oct 2019, 17:53

Greetings to both citizen "THE NORWEGIAN GUY" and the community as a whole. Howdy T.N.G.! Well sir, in reference to your introductory posting of Friday - October 04, 2019 - 1:44am, since old yours truly can be a hopeless ignoramus on such administrative technicalities, I would really appreciate it if you could clarify the dates of your projected operation. I, for one, interpret 03.02-08/10.02 1945 AS March 02, 1945 through August 10, 1945. Have I misinterpreted something here? Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this hypothetical topic which is oddly reminiscent of the historical BATTLE OF ZHITOMIR which was fought between October 10, 1943 and December 22, 1943 - for now anyway. In any case, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of Scandinavia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

The Norwegian Guy

Re: RE: German Encirclement Of First Belorussian Front In 1945?

Post by The Norwegian Guy » 04 Oct 2019, 18:55

Robert Rojas wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 17:53
Greetings to both citizen "THE NORWEGIAN GUY" and the community as a whole. Howdy T.N.G.! Well sir, in reference to your introductory posting of Friday - October 04, 2019 - 1:44am, since old yours truly can be a hopeless ignoramus on such administrative technicalities, I would really appreciate it if you could clarify the dates of your projected operation. I, for one, interpret 03.02-08/10.02 1945 AS March 02, 1945 through August 10, 1945. Have I misinterpreted something here? Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this hypothetical topic which is oddly reminiscent of the historical BATTLE OF ZHITOMIR which was fought between October 10, 1943 and December 22, 1943 - for now anyway. In any case, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of Scandinavia.

Best Regards,
Haha :lol: What a response, well yeah sorry, here in Europe we do the opposite as far as I know. I refer to between February 3 and February 10, 1945, during the Russian advance during the Weichsel-Oder offensive. Thank you, here the winter is starting to come on quite suddenly. :thumbsup:

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: German Encirclement of First Belorussian Front 1945?

Post by Robert Rojas » 05 Oct 2019, 16:00

Greetings to both citizen "THE NORWEGIAN GUY" and the community as a whole. Howdy T.N.G.! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Friday - October 04, 2019 - 8:55am, old yours truly would like to convey my thanks for your clarification concerning February 03, 1945 through February 10, 1945. That certainly places a whole new complexion on this ambitious scenario of yours. Now, there are those community members who would reject this scenario of yours out of hand as being highly implausible. I, for one, am not one of those naysaying community members. Now, with that said, given the sheer size of the German forces that you have arrayed against the RED ARMY before metropolitan Berlin, I must conclude that the Wehrmacht is holding firm along the Rhine River in Western Germany and the Po River in Northern Italy. I must also conclude that the Wehrmacht did NOT suffer the losses grievously inflicted upon it at the Falaise Pocket and the Colmar Pocket. In addition, I must conclude that the Ardennes Offensive was also cancelled, without the historical material and manpower losses that operation subsequently incurred. Evacuating troops from Norway and the Courland Pocket will also certainly ease the trained and experienced manpower issue for the Wehrmacht. On a purely incidental matter, the preponderance of the surviving Luftwaffe formations will be allocated to support BOTH the Berlin operation AND the continued aerial defense of the RUHR. Finally, with the RUHR still in German hands, the Wehrmacht will still have reasonable access to arms and ammunition, spare parts and more importantly, synthetic fuel. With their rear relatively secure, the Wehrmacht will have to concern itself with the festering and dicey issue of Southeastern Europe. Unless the Wehrmacht can stabilize its position along the crest of the Carpathian Mountains, units slated for the Berlin operation will have to be reallocated to this region to stem the tide of RED ARMY operations now gravitating towards Hungary and Bulgaria. With the stage now set, Gruppenführer Felix Steiner and General der Panzertruppe Walther Wenck just "MIGHT" be able to pull off a miracle. My only question is this: Who will be the overall field commander of this DO OR DIE operation before the threadbare "fortress" of Berlin? Well, that's my latest two Yankee cents, pfennigs or kopecks worth on this exercise into the bizarre - for now anyway. In any case, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of Scandinavia.

Best Regards,
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Return to “What if”