Richard Nixon wins the US Presidency in 1960

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

Richard Nixon wins the US Presidency in 1960

Post by Futurist » 02 May 2021 01:37

What if Richard Nixon would have won the US Presidency in 1960? How would his Presidency have differed from JFK and LBJ in real life? For instance, would his domestic agenda have been anywhere near as ambitious, in regards to civil rights, voting rights, the Great Society, et cetera? What about foreign policy? Would Nixon have done anything differently in regards to Cuba, Laos, Vietnam, or any other of the world's hot spots?

Personally, I think that there's a very real chance that the US could get militarily involved in Cuba and/or Laos in this scenario. I'm not sure if a President Nixon would have allowed the Bay of Pigs invasion to just fail like that, and, if so, he might have been prepared to send in US ground troops to Cuba in order to ensure that Fidel Castro would indeed get overthrown in 1961. I do wonder just how capable the Cuban Communists would have actually been in subsequently conducting an anti-US insurgency in Cuba, of course. It would have undoubtedly been harder than in Vietnam since the US could simply completely blockade Cuba considering that Cuba, unlike Vietnam, is an island. Also, shortly before he left office, President Eisenhower told JFK to do anything and everything to prevent Laos from falling to the Communists. While JFK ignored Eisenhower's advice, opting for a neutralization solution for Laos instead (one that was largely a fig leaf in any case), Nixon, who was Eisenhower's VP, might have been more willing to listen to Eisenhower's advice in regards to this if he himself was actually the US President in 1961 instead of JFK. Conducting a land war in Laos against the Laotian Communists and their Vietnamese Communist allies might have been hell for the US due to logistics and Laos's remote, isolated location, but at least the US could presumably send additional troops and supplies to Laos through Thailand--though it would also very likely have to significantly develop the infrastructure in the northeastern part of Thailand (Isan) in the process of doing this. If the US is actually able to achieve a full victory in Laos, the odds of which I am HIGHLY uncertain, then the Vietnamese Communists would no longer be able to infiltrate South Vietnam through the Ho Chi Minh Trail, thus almost certainly making it significantly easier for South Vietnam to successfully deal with them.

Anyway, any thoughts on all of this?

Futurist

Re: Richard Nixon wins the US Presidency in 1960

Post by Futurist » 02 May 2021 01:39

@History Learner: Just how knowledgeable are you about this era in US history?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: Richard Nixon wins the US Presidency in 1960

Post by Terry Duncan » 02 May 2021 09:33

Locked for failure to comply with the section guidelines.

Return to “What if”