German and US mutual hatred of communism

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Sid Guttridge

Re: German and US mutual hatred of communism

Post by Sid Guttridge » 17 Jun 2021 20:29

Hi wm,

I was not addressing the possession and disposal of private property.

Rockefeller, who paid for the mural, was entitled to dispose of it as he wished.

However, in doing so he was probably not advancing the cause of freedom of speech that paulrward apparently advances in his tag line. The juxtaposition was interesting.

Cheers,

Sid.

Takao

Post by Takao » 17 Jun 2021 21:23

Except, of course, it has nothing to do with freedom of speech, or freedom of expression.

wm

Post by wm » 17 Jun 2021 21:47

Sid Guttridge wrote:
17 Jun 2021 20:29
Hi wm,

I was not addressing the possession and disposal of private property.

Rockefeller, who paid for the mural, was entitled to dispose of it as he wished.

However, in doing so he was probably not advancing the cause of freedom of speech that paulrward apparently advances in his tag line. The juxtaposition was interesting.

Cheers,

Sid.
Would you say that if Nazi sub-liminal propaganda were discovered? An why not?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 17 Jun 2021 22:17

Hi Takao,

Of course knocking down a mural because one doesn't like its political content is to do with freedom of speech, or freedom of expression.

Both exist outside the narrow definitions of the US Constitution.

Personally I have no particular objection to Rockefeller disposing of his property as he sees fit, but to pretend that it was not an attempt to suppress the content is unsustainable.

Cheers,

Sid.
Last edited by Sid Guttridge on 17 Jun 2021 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 17 Jun 2021 22:20

Hi wm,

Two points.

1) Your question is classic "Whataboutism" designed to divert from the subject in question. Ask it on an appropriate thread and I will happily answer it.

2) Including six foot high portraits of Lenin, Marx, Engels and Trotsky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_at_th ... _Lenin.jpg) is hardly "sub-liminal"!

It is about as "in-your-face" as one can get!

Cheers,

Sid.

wm

Post by wm » 17 Jun 2021 23:07

No, it's not.
It's a very simple question. You've said the "commies" are free speech, so why not the Nazis?

Takao

Post by Takao » 17 Jun 2021 23:10

Sid Guttridge wrote:
17 Jun 2021 22:17
Hi Takao,

Of course knocking down a mural because one doesn't like its political content is to do with freedom of speech, or freedom of expression.

Both exist outside the narrow definitions of the US Constitution.

Personally I have no particular objection to Rockefeller disposing of his property as he sees fit, but to pretend that it was not an attempt to suppress the content is unsustainable.

Cheers,

Sid.
Conversely, the one who commissioned the painting, plastered it over, then later tore it down - was exercising his freedom of speech and/or freedom of expression.

So, who's freedom takes precedent?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 18 Jun 2021 06:43

Hi Takao,

You post, "Conversely, the one who commissioned the painting, plastered it over, then later tore it down - was exercising his freedom of speech and/or freedom of expression."

In which case, it is a freedom of speech matter, then.

You ask, ".....who's freedom takes precedent?" Indeed. I would go with the physical owner of the piece, Rockefeller. As I posted above, "Personally I have no particular objection to Rockefeller disposing of his property as he sees fit."

I was simply pointing out an interesting juxtaposition in paulrward's post that appears to be internally contradictory.

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 18 Jun 2021 06:50

Hi wm,

Yes, it is a very simple question. It is just not one for this thread. As I posted above, I will happily answer it on an appropriate thread, if you would care to open one.

Did you know that Rivera also created an even larger sister piece in San Francisco in 1940 that contains portraits of Hitler, Mussolini and Himmler (albeit somewhat caricatured) that still exists?

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “What if”