What if :Seelöwe

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Felix Wendt

What if :Seelöwe

Post by Felix Wendt » 13 May 2002 15:30

Hallo
What do you guys thinks would happend, if Hitler wouldn't had cancelt Operation "Seelöwe" and had waited with the attack on the Sovjets?
Did the Germans had a chance invading the UK?

Felix

Daniel S.

A possible invasion

Post by Daniel S. » 13 May 2002 16:55

I think they would have a good chance on land.But first Germans would have to deal with RAF and Royal Navy.And this was,how practically happened,a failed task.The Germans lost the Battle of England on sky,Luffwafe being defeated by RAF due to some strategic errors that they
commited.They would have to focus only on bombing airfields,radar stations
and plane factories and not to bomb civilian targets as they did.In reality by bombing London and other cities they permitted RAF to survive.If RAF would have been defeated the Royal Navy ships on the Channel would have been an easy target for Luftwafe.After that it would probably followed a massive airborn assault with Fallshirmjagers occuping strategic points near
beachheads.And few shock Waffen SS and Panzer divisions landing in first
wave.But it wouldn't be an easy task to deal with the British Army.Probably it would followed a few desperate battles and after these a German triumph
or a bath into sea.

Daniel S.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 13 May 2002 17:48

Chances are that if they had of invaded they would have won and Europe would be a far different place, how apt were Churchills words about "..owed my so many to so few"

:D Andy from the Shire

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 13 May 2002 17:53

Mister X

Post by Mister X » 13 May 2002 22:06

Hello,

Just thought I'd give my 'vision'.

I think that Seelöwe would have been a very risky operation. Given the intelligence of that era, nobody really knew the Russian strength. They only knew that they really had big army. Taking that in consideration, I think it would be very risky to 'leave your back unprotected'. I would have feared a Russian invasion if I were a 'big shot' back then.

Mister X

Forgot this.

Post by Mister X » 13 May 2002 22:08

Source: 'Verlorene Siege' by von Manstein. He just has the same vision as I have on this.

Return to “What if”