Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
User avatar
jwsleser
Member
Posts: 1354
Joined: 13 Jun 2005 14:02
Location: Leavenworth, KS

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by jwsleser » 28 Mar 2023 14:03

Thank Peter

True to a point. What you provided wasn't the complete story that interweaves the impact of the various factors into an analysis of the operation. What are the ripples that occur if there is a delay in placing Aalborg into operation?

As you stated....
At this point, the combat operation turned into an air transport operation, which supported the ground units as well as the arriving Luftwaffe units.
You also stated...
However, from the very beginning, the plan was to gradually give the responsibility over to the navy to deliver the necessary supplies and heavy equipment.
IIRC there was a significant problem that delayed the advance out of Oslo to the north. I need to get back into the books to see. As I stated, the likelihood of Aalborg being such a key piece to the puzzle is low, but I need to examine its actual role in detail.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Princess Perfume
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: 27 Mar 2014 10:11
Location: BBC Television Centre, London, England

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by Princess Perfume » 28 Mar 2023 23:14

WI: The weather over D and N had turned worse, much worse, for some, possibly several, weeks just after Hitler attacks and he can't just back down?

Peter89
Member
Posts: 2369
Joined: 28 Aug 2018 05:52
Location: Europe

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by Peter89 » 29 Mar 2023 06:30

Princess Perfume wrote:
28 Mar 2023 23:14
WI: The weather over D and N had turned worse, much worse, for some, possibly several, weeks just after Hitler attacks and he can't just back down?
The weather was quite bad already, interfering with naval and air operations. Had it been much-much worse, then I suppose the Germans sacrifice even more naval assets and ground forces, but save more of the Luftwaffe forces.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Princess Perfume
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: 27 Mar 2014 10:11
Location: BBC Television Centre, London, England

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by Princess Perfume » 29 Mar 2023 12:20

Peter89 wrote:
29 Mar 2023 06:30
Princess Perfume wrote:
28 Mar 2023 23:14
WI: The weather over D and N had turned worse, much worse, for some, possibly several, weeks just after Hitler attacks and he can't just back down?
The weather was quite bad already, interfering with naval and air operations. Had it been much-much worse, then I suppose the Germans sacrifice even more naval assets and ground forces, but save more of the Luftwaffe forces.
And those extra destroyed assets will not be available later in this ATL - knock-ons fairly quickly, i should think?

Peter89
Member
Posts: 2369
Joined: 28 Aug 2018 05:52
Location: Europe

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by Peter89 » 29 Mar 2023 15:53

Princess Perfume wrote:
29 Mar 2023 12:20
Peter89 wrote:
29 Mar 2023 06:30
Princess Perfume wrote:
28 Mar 2023 23:14
WI: The weather over D and N had turned worse, much worse, for some, possibly several, weeks just after Hitler attacks and he can't just back down?
The weather was quite bad already, interfering with naval and air operations. Had it been much-much worse, then I suppose the Germans sacrifice even more naval assets and ground forces, but save more of the Luftwaffe forces.
And those extra destroyed assets will not be available later in this ATL - knock-ons fairly quickly, i should think?
Well.

You wrote that "The weather over D and N had turned worse, much worse, for some, possibly several, weeks just after Hitler attacks and he can't just back down?"

It means that the weather on the crucial phase of the campaign would be the same. It means that southern Norway and the key ports fell anyway. The Hegra fortress fell anyway. And Narvik would be evacuated not because of the German troops or air power, but because of the lost Battle of France. Thus I see little difference between this ATL and the OTL.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Princess Perfume
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: 27 Mar 2014 10:11
Location: BBC Television Centre, London, England

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by Princess Perfume » 29 Mar 2023 23:11

sorry i have a ABI and my thoughts are dis jointed.

John T
Member
Posts: 1206
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Re: Could Denmark have derailed the invasion of Norway an in effect Hitler's wars?

Post by John T » 30 Mar 2023 22:05

wm wrote:
09 Feb 2023 19:19
I don't quite understand why "the port outside Aalborg" was so important - s
As Germans did not dare to send the transports with the soldiers aboard after the losses during the first Staffel,
Personnel was ferried from Hirshals and Fredrikshamn in smaller or faster vessels.
Or flown in, but most of the build-up came by boat.
wm wrote:
09 Feb 2023 19:19
still, the question is, could heroic Danish resistance (for a few days) have sufficiently delayed the invasion of Norway to ensure its failure?
Remember Hitler was about to advise Dietel and the Gebirgsjägers to walk into Sweden for internment.
A failure would have been a mental thing, Germany could not just add a lot of resources to Norway a month before the attack on France.


Kingfish wrote:
09 Feb 2023 23:05
wm wrote:
09 Feb 2023 19:19
still, the question is, could heroic Danish resistance (for a few days) have sufficiently delayed the invasion of Norway to ensure its failure?
As I understand it the invasion of both Denmark and Norway were executed at the same time, so I can't see how resistance from the former could delay the latter.
Delay Force buildup, giving the Norwegians and Allies time to act.


Cheers
/John

Return to “What if”