Caucuses

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Lawrence Tandy

Caucuses

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 10 Aug 2002, 04:09

What if the Germans went straight for the Caucuses instead of dividing their forces to try to take Stalingrad as well? Do you think they would have succeeded in taking the oil fields. I have no doubts the Russians would destroy them before they could be siezed, but could the Germans have had them operating in time to make a difference in their fuel Situation? Plus, how badly would this offensive leave other sectors weakened. Perhaps they may have been cut off as they were in Stalingrad, just in a different place. What do you Guys(and Gals) think?

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 10 Aug 2002, 05:41

Hi all!

Hey Lawrence! Isn't your topic sort of like my previous one? :D

Anyway...
The German army possessed "oil commandos". These commandos were specially trained to try to capture oil fields (and their machinary and equipment) intact. They made a number of successful captures in Poland, France and elsewhere that had oil fields and refinaries. They didn't wear Wehrmacht uniforms. If anyone have anymore information on these commandos, please feel free to tell me, and everyone else in this forum, about it!

The funny thing is, the Russian tanks used diesel whereas the Germans used ordinary gasoline. So the fuel they captured for the Russian tanks can't be used to power their own tanks! :lol:

With the huge manpower of the Sixth army not attacking Stalingrad, the Germans would have surely been able to capture the oilfields in the Caucasus (they were very close in doing so too).

What I have always thought is that Hitler aimed for the Middle Eastern countries and intended on capturing it in a pincer movement (although it is a very large one!) with one arm from the Caucausus and one arm from North Africa (under Rommel).

Damn oil, modern war just can't be fought without it and to think of it, its going to run out soon! What are we going to do!!!

Plus, as a stated in my previous topic, what is the strategic importance of capturing the cities? I think they are useless, only good for propaganda purposes.

PS: It seems that you, Lawrence, me and Zachary are the only participants in this forum... :?

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 10 Aug 2002, 05:43

Sorry man. Haven't been here all that long and must have missed it. Thanks for the response at any rate. Very informative. Is there a way for me to remove the topic. really no point if it was already done. I would be further ahead to read yours.

Cheers
LT

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 10 Aug 2002, 05:46

Lawrence,

Don't worry about it man, nobody's been in this forum to read about that yet. :D

We have to think of more "what ifs" :idea: the subjects are sure getting exhausted pretty fast.

BTW: you were the only one to reply to my topic! :D , I just put it in with the question.

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 10 Aug 2002, 05:49

That's the cool thing about "What if?" We can just make stuff up. :mrgreen:

LT

Return to “What if”