If push came to shove...

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Andy H
Forum Staff

If push came to shove...

Post by Andy H » 24 Aug 2002, 13:34

which camp (Allied or Axis) would Switzerland,Sweden,Spain and Eire Rep have fallen into during WW2, and would there decisions have resulted in any great changes in the course of the war?.

:D Andy from the Shire

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 24 Aug 2002, 16:04

Spain- Axis if Hikler gave him lots of aid.
Eire- Allied except for extreme IRA guys
Sweden- Axis
Switzerland- Neutral NEUTRAL. They are obsessed with neutrality. Maybe they would have become a divided country
Zachary

atkif

Post by atkif » 24 Aug 2002, 17:11

Spain would be definetely Axis.(After all Franco' regime was fascistic )
And Germans were Franco's allies during the Spain civil war.
As for the others we could only guess.
Swedes might have been reluctunt to join Germany against Russia
remembering what had happened when Peter the Great became the Russian Csar ( not a serious thought though )

The Desert Fox

Axis would be in the running to claim many of these Neutrals

Post by The Desert Fox » 26 Aug 2002, 10:48

Both Sweden and Spain would certainly have ended up with the Axis I believe if the tide of war had not started to turn in 1942. Spain was a facist nation who had gained great support from German arms in their seizure of power in the mid 1930s. If Germany had remained a sure bet, Spain I expect after a few years of recovery from its civil war would have joined forces with the Axis.

Swedish neutrality on the other hand had already came under question when they allowed German troops to use the Swedish railway network to get to Norway in 1940. I also read somewhere that they also turned back at the border the Norweigan royal family from escaping into Sweden in 1940. Small acts like these and the close ties some swedish nationals had with some of the Nazi hierachy (wasnt Goerings wife swedish?) hint at some leanings towards the Axis.

I am sorry to say I think Sweden played their cards very close to their chest during the early years of the war.

regards
The Desert Fox

ps sorry to upset any Swedes on the forum especially Mr Wendel :)

Return to “What if”