Waffes SS vs. US Marines

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 11 Sep 2002, 22:57

Ive loved reading this thread, best one so far!
I dont believe any force was better than the other, to be honest I dont know a great deal about the Marines, but all I can say is that it cant be taken away from the Premier SS division that they were all very courageous soldiers. They suffered most of their defeats not because of their ability but due to poor leadership and no regard for their lives at the highest levels of command, when left to their own devices and squad level they fought fantastically.
Just my opinion...... :lol:

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 11 Sep 2002, 23:06

HJ Division Grenadier wrote:Ive loved reading this thread, best one so far!
Thanks.

Logan Hartke

Al Carter

Post by Al Carter » 12 Sep 2002, 02:35

Would the Marines have been able to storm Normandy any better than did the army? Was LSSAH any better than Großdeutschland?

It seemed that when all was equal, the Germans were better troops all around. I would take a 1942-1943 Waffen-SS division over any other formation. Look at Demyansk or Cherkessy did any Marine division ever have anything like that to overcome. Hell the Japanese had no small arms that were worth a hoot. The Marines didn't have dozens of tanks and limitless men coming at them.

Al Carter

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 12 Sep 2002, 03:01

Read the above at Chosin.

The difference between the Marines and the SS is the SS at Demyansk was almost destroyed, the Marines at Chosin broke out with almost all of their gear and heavy equipment and fairly light loses.

In the following the 1st US Marine Division fought a break out against 10 CCF Divisions. These were divisions with armor etc.
On November 30, X Corps ordered the Marines to withdraw. So began an incredible breakout and 13-day fighting retreat by about 20,000 troops, spread out loosely over a narrow, mountainous, one-lane supply road, covering about 78 miles to the Sea of Japan and Hungnam. For the first 35 miles, from Yudam-ni to the Army's 3rd Infantry Division positions at Chinhung-ni, the Marines were on their own, battling continuously with 10 CCF divisions.

The 1st Marine Division took full advantage of its artillery and air support ... but it also time and again fought the Chinese man-to-man, hand-to-hand, night and day, while cut off from the rear and with transportation at a dead stop. In the bitterly cold, sub-zero winds of Chosin, as in steaming jungles of an earlier war, the Marines never lost their will to fight, or their capability of fighting effectively.

Heavily outnumbered, the Marines successfully defended against every attack, and in turn successfully attacked the Chinese wherever they had cut off the MSR. The Marines not only fought their way out, they brought out their wounded, and most of their dead and equipment.

Would the Marines have been able to storm Normandy any better than did the army?
No the Army did a fine job of it. Be hard to do it better, but in the Battle of Bulge if the marines were dug in it would have become the battle of "They don't budge."

kchuah

Post by kchuah » 14 Sep 2002, 06:00

Marine vs. SS?
=======================================
It is very easy to tell....

of course, is the MARine!!!! yeah... they looked ugly but they're
well adapt to the environment.

Don;t you think the SS really pay too much attention in
appearance ... with tons of medals hanging on the combat tunic
like christmas tree!!!!!!

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 14 Sep 2002, 15:25

Bit of a distorted view isnt it?
:lol:

HaEn
In memoriam

tons of medals

Post by HaEn » 15 Sep 2002, 05:53

kchuah wrote:Marine vs. SS?
=======================================
It is very easy to tell....

of course, is the MARine!!!! yeah... they looked ugly but they're
well adapt to the environment.

Don;t you think the SS really pay too much attention in
appearance ... with tons of medals hanging on the combat tunic
like christmas tree!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: where did they get these ? if not in combat ? Also, they were worn UNDER the camo jacket. lastly, I agree, I never understood why we wore our best uniform to the front. But as you know: Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do and die. HN.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 15 Sep 2002, 06:56

LOL! (you can take that statement more than one way)

-those ugly american Untermenschen! they sure can fight though-

...anyway, talking about medals, all WWII medals were nothing compared to WWI. now those are a bunch of walking christmas trees..

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 15 Sep 2002, 20:10

Yeah but I think Nagelfar brought reality back to the thread. :)

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 15 Sep 2002, 22:06

This must be one of the most pointless threads I have ever come across because no-one can agree on a likely scenario where the two would meet. The SS have armour, but what use of 50- ton tanks in the jungle, the Marines have air cover, but where is that flying in from if were out on the Russian steppe and German AA was more effective than Japanesse.

Every one is trying to square a circle, it's like asking who would win between the GD v LAH, or US Marines v US Airborne or A British Destroyer v US Submarine

:? Andy from the Shire

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 16 Sep 2002, 00:52

Logan Hartke

kchuah

Post by kchuah » 16 Sep 2002, 06:06

Hm... Look like they're fighting without using their brain...

I might switch my vote to SS now!

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 16 Sep 2002, 10:25

168 year old traditions aren't guaranteed to win you battles either. :P

Gwynn

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 16 Sep 2002, 11:01

Gwynn Compton wrote:168 year old traditions aren't guaranteed to win you battles either. :P

Gwynn
No they are not, but I don't know of any major ones they have lost yet either. :)

b_c_ries

Post by b_c_ries » 16 Sep 2002, 18:17

I still want to know if the Marines ever embarrassed themselves as bad as the SS did at Arras in 1940. If they aren't better than the SS they had 168 years and plenty of wars to screw up as bad as the SS did in one war, in a winning campaign, with air superiority, against an unsuspecting foe during a surprise attack.
If 70 grains of IMR 4064 in a 7.92x57 case behind a 197 gr. fmj is too much then 85 grains should be just right.

Return to “What if”